mtbr member
    Aug 2006

In a Market for a DJ rig

I currently own a freeride fullsus bike, Giant Faith. Since I ride most of the time in an urban/DJ setting, I am looking for a second bike (DJ hardtail). The Giant Faith I currently ride is excellent, however it's overkill for most of the ride that I do. Jumping & bunnyhoping on it is quite tiring as it is a long travel, pretty massive full sus.

The HT DJ that I can easily get my hand on in my city is Giant STP, Scott Voltage, KHS DJ, Santa Cruz Jackal (must order and expensive). I know it is quite limited compare to other countries.

Please let me know which would be suitable for me coming from riding a Giant Faith. Would going to a HT DJ help me improve trick such as manualing, wheelie, jumping (since its lighter)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hwy, firstly what is your budget?, i would persanoly go for the jackal, im buying a jackal frame soon, but currently i have a scott voltage yz0 limited mine if really build up well, in "show us ur dj/street bike" near the end. If u were u id go for the jackal first then sedcond chice scott yz0 limited.
    [SIZE="4"]
    Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My budget would be around 2000 USD.

Nonetheless, I want something that is durable to trash around and not worrying too much... The frame of Jackal here cost about 800USD... While I can get a full bike for Giant STP with that price... Is such difference worth it?

mtbr remember
    wow, $2k could get you some serious machinery! I'd suggest building it up custom from the ground up in that case.
    you need to know some things about your preferences first though, not just bolt together some parts that look cool.
    What will be your primary riding environment? dirt, street, park, trials, etc.? What size are you? what characteristics do you want the bike to have? Do you want 24 or 26"? SS or geared? just a few basic things to think about...
    I'm personally not a big fan of the jackal... at all. First of all the geo is off for me, second it's aluminum, yet still very heavy, and you have to buy separate dropouts to run it SS among other things... not to mention, I don't understand why it has a gas tank. but if you are interested, they are going for WAY cheaper than $800!? where did you see that?

The STP is always a standard by which box bikes will be measured, probably one of the best out there (with the Norco 250 being up there as well IMO), and this year, even shorter chainstays for the STP and it also has a lifetime warranty, which you may know through owning a Faith.
    anyway, good luck, search around some of the threads here on this forum, as there is a ton of useful info. once you've narrowed down your question, it's easier for people here to answer it...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You sound like a noob with money. Just go with some complete that you like. Research online, maybe compare geometries to your full-squish. Come back with your top five and let people give you pros/cons.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Yea if you're new to the scene and not really dialed stick with a complete. Go custom later down the way if you please. The STP would be the way to go, great for the money.

mtbr member
    I second that. I went custom before I really knew what I wanted and now I'm stuck with it.

I post too much.
    Giant STP, Norco 250(would be my choice), Kona Cowan. Pick whichever one you feel more confortable on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    STP or voltage. you will be happy with either one.

Portland, OR
    I say voltage, STP isnt for everybody. ride the bikes that you can at the store/s and see wich one you like best.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

I post too much.
    Heck, with that kind of money, you could probably pull off a really nice built on a Nemesis Project, if you don't mind waiting your frame to be handbuilt by some of the best frame builders in the industry .

tuck-n-roll master
    The Voltage and Jackal are both highly overpriced. However, what they lack in affordability they make up for in cool names. Go with the STP. It's solid, a great bike for any skill level, and one of the best deals around. If you look for last year's model, you can have one for around 500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I guess I am getting STP, I too agree that it has the best value for the money...
    Thank you for all your suggestion!