Boyeeee

Manitou Minute 3 for DJ?

I'm building my first DJ bike and am on a budget. I have a buddy with a Manitou Minute 3 fork with 20mm dropouts and 130mm of travel he's willing to sell for cheap ($100).

Would this fork dropped to 100mm be a suitable DJ fork? If so, any idea on how to drop it and where to get some firm/x-firm springs for it and any settings suggestions?

Keep in mind that this is my first DJ bike so I'm unlikely to be smooth but probably won't be going too big for a while.

Boyeeee
    More detail:

It looks like the fork came on an '06 IH MKIII Team. It sounds like it's a Nixon with Minute internals.

Boyeeee
    Found XSL_WILL's lowering instructions for Manitou forks, so I know I can lower it to 100mm. I just don't know if it's a good idea or not.

Anyone?

Allday Haro
    100mm-80mm is imo ideal for dj. I personally do not know much about those forks though. If you get a dj fork get a dj 2 or dj1. but 130mm is a bit much to run so lowering it if its designed can take it is a good idea.

Boyeeee
    Yeah, if it goes on the bike it'll get lowered to 100mm. It's my first DJ build and I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. I can get a deal on the fork from a buddy that has it hanging on a wall.

mtbr member
    Looks like it's more of a cross country fork. Travel of a fork is one thing, but the designed usage of the fork is another. I'd say look for a fork more geared for DJ.

Boyeeee
    It's a Nixon chassis and the Nixon is classified as an AM fork. I guess that's not much better than XC.

I guess I'll keep looking for deals...