mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Looking for urban tire suggestions

Hello people, new guy here...

Looking for suggestions on a good urban tire no larger than 1.95.... basically for street/off road mix.

Anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Its gonna be hard to find a good one for street that isnt even over 2.0. A Halo Twin Rail would work but its 2.2. Why so small???

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Basement Hero
    Hello people, new guy here...

Looking for suggestions on a good urban tire no larger than 1.95.... basically for street/off road mix.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm assuming for 26"?? you would have a pretty large selection if you were looking at 24" with the bmx cruiser line-up of tires available, but for 26" it's gonna be tough. Look at the Tioga FS100 urban.
    Possibly Kenda K-rad too? or you might have to look at mtb commuter tires, haha, could work....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Actually, it would be for a 26" bmx frame. I'm hoping to get a Kappa k26. Apparently there isn't a lot of clearance and they say to run a 1.95 max.

I totally want to run with those Halo Twin Rails, I'm using Halo Combat multi rims:

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/combat.htm

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Basement Hero
    Actually, it would be for a 26" bmx frame. I'm hoping to get a Kappa k26. Apparently there isn't a lot of clearance and they say to run a 1.95 max.

I totally want to run with those Halo Twin Rails, I'm using Halo Combat multi rims:

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/combat.htm

those Kappa's are stylin! I dig the old school. They are made up in the Mitten state too, in Kalamazoo, home of the delicious Bell's Beer!!! nice.
    that raw chromo limited edition twin top-tube K26 looks sick, but pricey! their geometry is straight bmx though, so not quite my thing at this point as I like front susp. to take the edge off....
    it looks like their example 26"er is running some Intense tires that appear to be super super skinny, check them out....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is an excellent tire for your purpose. Kenda K-Rad 26 x 1.95. I've been using this size exclusively for 4 years on my street/park MTBs.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Kenda K-Rad Great tire, good price. I put them on my bike and ride them everywhere: street, park, DJ's, trails. Riding them almost a year now and only had one flat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Those k-rads look cool, I like the tread pattern. How are they for wear? In my experience with Kenda tires (bmx tires), they've not faired well for wear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As long as you don't skid on pavement all the time they last a long time. I have some that are several years old.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL