mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Looking For A New Ride

Lately, my Giant Boulder SE has been suffering. When I bought it, it was just going to be a bike that I rode to friends and around my neighborhood. This summer, I got into XC riding and urban. My bike has taken a ton of abuse and now im looking to get a new urban rig.

Im looking for a bike withing the $400-$600 price range, because im a little short on cash right now. I dont need the best bike ever, just something that can take 2 to 4 foot drops and 2 or 3 foot dirt jumps (I have to build my own). Im looking primarily for a singlespeed, because thats what I ride now (I converted my bike), but I will ride a geared bike. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

P.S. If anyone knows of any dirt jumps in the Upstate New York area, that would be sweet!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

1 for DK xenia

It's not a GREAT urban bike, but it has good geometry that allows you to do a number of things on it. Also it is SS so that's a plus you are looking for. I got an '06 for about 530, so that falls into your price.

When in doubt, go faster
    Look at an 06 iron horse yakuza chimpara or an 05 IH yakuza bakuto.

I post too much.
    Look into whichever kona dirt jumping hardtail suits your budget. Great little bikes. Giant STP SS should be on your list, and if you are able to find '06's on closeout, all the better.

Local Paperboy Hero
    U could look for a deal on Specialized P1. Retail $770. Maybe buy used, or look for last year's model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Isnt the Giant STP SS 700 or 800 dollars?

mtbr member
    mite just want to look into a 24" DK general lee...you can get them for like $250 new. it is rigid...but people have put short travel forks on them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    stp geared 850

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was at my LBS today, and they had a Trek Jack 3 and a Gary Fisher Opie. I was looking at the Opie, and I read some reviews. People said this bike was buletproof, and it was a good project bike. Im going back to my LBS later today to take a look at it, but does anyone know if it is a good starter bike or not?