mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Looking to get into street/flatland biking. MTB style.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to do some street riding on a mtb (tricks, gaps etc) and wondering what a good bike to get would be and/or what I should be looking for in a good bike? I'm not looking to spend much more than $850CAD. I was told that the Trek Mullet would be a good starter. Any suggestions and/or opinions are welcome. Size of frame for someone 6' tall would be helpful

Thanks

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    My buddy just picked up an 08 Eastern Thunderbird and I like that. I you need a front brake, you'll have to buy one. I like speccing my urban bikes with bmx parts because they're usually cheaper and beefier than mtb stuff. If you really want flatland, are you going to put pegs on your bike?

mtbr member
    You may want a 24" wheel specific park/street bike..... fore example: http://www.unionstreetbikes.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ypY...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wasn't planning on adding pegs to the bike. I guess I'm looking to pop onto tables/rails and or maybe manual the front tire a bit but won't be needing the pegs that much.

24" sounds like a pretty big bike. I was thinking that an 18-19"max would be what I'm looking for. Correct me if i'm wrong.

mtbr member
    no 24" wheels are whats posted in the link, the frame's seattube is a lot lot smaller than a regular 18" mtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The only thing i saw in the link were videos and nothing about the bike. but in the videos it looked like a bmx bike, at least in size, and i'm not looking to get back into full bmx riding. I'm looking for a MTB that i'll be able to do some urban riding, again pop onto rails or park benches, do some gaps, and if the mood strikes, take if off road on some light trails. Any suggestions for a ride that would fit that criteria would be stellar

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've got a Giant STP SS that I'm using. I'm about 200 pounds and that thing has taken a decent beating and has been holding together no problems. I've been doing 4 foot drops to flat, and everything is fine. I know it will manual, I'm just a pansy and afraid of landing on my ass.
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzi13
    I've got a Giant STP SS that I'm using. I'm about 200 pounds and that thing has taken a decent beating and has been holding together no problems. I've been doing 4 foot drops to flat, and everything is fine. I know it will manual, I'm just a pansy and afraid of landing on my ass.
    It looks like a good fit for me, but the price is a little high. I was hoping to get something in the $850CAD range and I saw the STP SS for $1100. A little rich for my blood )
    Appreciate the suggestion though )

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Really $1100??? Mine is the 09 version and I got if for $850 from the lbs before taxes.
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I clearly checked the wrong site. I'll have to hit up my local shop and see what price i can get out of them for both the bikes, and if the SS comes up cheaper or close, I'll lean toward that...reviews on mtbr.com seem to like the STP lol