mtbr member

Looking at a dirt cheap, used, starter DJ/Urban bike.

So, I'm 27 now but raced BMX form 7-9 years old. For nostalgia reasons, I checked out the place where all my old races were held and it turns out it's now a public bike park with skinnies, dirt jumps, and pump tracks. I ended up bringing my 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler down and had a ton of fun on the DJ and pump sections, but full suspension bikes suck in that kind of setting.

So now I'm looking for a used, cheap, $200-$300, complete DJ/Urban bike to have some fun on.

The CL selection sucks in my area:
    https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/s...umper&sort=rel

Are the fireball or P1 on CL worth looking into?

Source suggestions? Brands/models? Anyone in Albuquerque want to sell me a bike?

mtbr member
    Specialized P bikes are worth looking at. But that one is overpriced for its age. Mongoose Fireball, I don't know too much about, but it also looks old and seems to have some random parts.

You might want to check out a new Haro Steel Reserve. You can get the all-rigid one for like $550. Then add a suspension fork later if you want to. (Although if you want to run a fork with a 20mm thru-axle, then you'd need a different front hub in the future).

Dirt Jump / Urban Mountain Bikes – Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Vital MTB

Just Joshin' ya!
    I might get flamed for this, but I have a Mongoose DJ682 from Walmart and it does just fine on pump tracks and jumps (with transitions). I don't think it could take urban stuff especially drops to flat, but it only cost me 99 bucks. Its a steel frame, probably hi-ten, and came with 3 piece cranks. The brake is awful, both wheels needed truing out of the box, and all of the parts with bearings all needed to be repacked with grease and needed bearing pre-loads to be set up properly. Most people who buy it replace the brake and bottom bracket, and bottom bracket spindle, but that all can be done for around 50 dollars. It fits like a BMX bike but has 26 inch wheels. It rides good now that I adjusted and fixed everything. I think it is a really good bike for 99 dollars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking at a dirt cheap, used, starter DJ/Urban bike.-img_0382-1-.jpg  

Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    I might get flamed for this, but I have a Mongoose DJ682 from Walmart and it does just fine on pump tracks and jumps (with transitions). I don't think it could take urban stuff especially drops to flat, but it only cost me 99 bucks. Its a steel frame, probably hi-ten, and came with 3 piece cranks. The brake is awful, both wheels needed truing out of the box, and all of the parts with bearings all needed to be repacked with grease and needed bearing pre-loads to be set up properly. Most people who buy it replace the brake and bottom bracket, and bottom bracket spindle, but that all can be done for around 50 dollars. It fits like a BMX bike but has 26 inch wheels. It rides good now that I adjusted and fixed everything. I think it is a really good bike for 99 dollars.
    If you're tall, you might benefit from some taller handlebars on that bike. I noticed the fork has a short axle-to-crown; so it's more like a 26" BMX than a DJ-MTB with a "suspension corrected" frame design. Some 5" rise bmx bars and bmx stem (22.2mm clamp area instead of 25.4 or 31.8) would probably work well on it.

mtbr member
    I have one of those Mongooses too, and can confirm, it needs way taller bars.

Only V-brakes, but not bad otherwise.