Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking At Buying A P1

623 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ae111black 
#1 ·
I have read most of the reviews and yes I know the wheels suck but I think the set up is perfect for what I want. But I have some doubts now I found out that there is some propriatary parts on it. What are they and how can I get around em? I will be using this bike for XC racing..... (nah only joking)The bike is only gonna see skatepark duty and some jumps (well lots of jumps) I am 6'4" and 245lbs. and I break lots of parts.(I am known @ my LBS as "the guy who breaks stuff" My budget is $800 and I wont get to test ride one because my lbs wont bring one in for stock......kinda bummed about that! what do you think....... also I was also thinking about geting a dj frame and build one for my self? I have all the parts except a chain guide. I would just have to decomission the rockhopper...... My current "barge" jump/trick bike

#2 ·
Most of the parts other than the wheelset are pretty beefy on the P1, if you want to get it then go for it. Make sure to check for loose spokes and ride those stock wheels as long as you can.

Although building up a frame could be an option. Steelheads are a dime a dozen and are pretty strong. Chainguides can be found for cheap too, I'm just wondering what cranks/wheels etc you have on your rockhopper, it'd probably be better to go with the P.1

#3 ·
I have a Race face evolve dh BB amd a FSA Maximus Crankset........Converted to 3 ring LOL and the current wheels are WTB speed Disks but I have a set of freshly built sun Big Mammoth Fats in my Prophit that I'll Likely use

#4 ·
I rode an 08 P1 for a year and the only issues that ever came up were with the wheels. Those Sun's will work in place of the Specialized/Alex stockers. The bike is a little heavy and felt kind of long (I'm only 5'8'' - 160lbs), but for you I'm sure it will be perfect. The Dj3 is a tank and will hold up to alot of abuse. If it's the 09 you will be golden. Oh, I bought mine before riding because the lbs wouldn't bring one in due to a lack of a dj market... But it definitely turned out to be a good decision! Buy the complete instead of parting out an xc bike...

#5 ·
Probably gonna give up on owning a real park bike The Local Burocrats are really pissing me off....... the "skate park" where I ride finnally got finished. The same Park I helped build, Fought for when they said "we dont need a skatepark in pahoa". The same park that was desined by a bmx guy for bikes and boards...... See they put up the signs and now bikes are banned!!!! it was bad enough they posted a guard there from 3-12 midnight "to curb illegal activity" and to inforce the no bikes rule! so guess what F%C& em!!! I'll just go ride the xc trails like every one else.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.