mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Looking for a bike.

Currently I have an '05 Specialized Bighit FSR with several upgrades.

BUT, I want to get a hardtail...Im 15 and use my bike to get me everywhere, not bus or parents or any of that. And as you can guess my bighit it heavy and slow when it comes to getting somewhere. So basically Im looking for a hardtail bike for my DJ and Urban riding that I've been using my bighit for, and also for getting around town.

Im 5'10", 145 pounds, and would be doing everything on this bike from 10ft drops to curb bunny hops. Looking for a single ring up front, 100mm of travel, nice low top tube/ low stand over height, and prefferibly 26" wheels. I want a bike at or under 700 with strong wheels and a good fork. And a frame that is upgradable and worthy of several years abuse.

This wont be bought on my money, but whatever I buy I have to pay back...so the less, the better.

I have been looking at the '07 Diamondback Assualt, because there cheap (700) and have a DJ3 and S-type wheels.

Thanks.

resident dumbass
    try used. I got the most kickass setup used (for the price, atleast!). I've got a half-ass picture of it somewhere on this forum before I got myself some bombproof handlebars, if you want proof.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

I post too much.
    Look at Kona's line of hardtails, that diamondback doesn't sound too shabby either. Maybe a Giant STP SS could also suit your needs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yeah thanks, ive looked at the konas...because were i live (northwest) there really popular. and the STP looks nice...BUT for the price konas dont have what is important to me...and the STP is decent, but dirt jam pros are my least favorite forks.

As you can tell, I'm a little picky...but i have alot of time to look for the perfect bike.

Meh.
    Look into buying used, you get more for your money.

Those Assaults are pretty solid bikes, Dback is largely overlooked these days, they make some quality stuff. I'm not just saying that because I work for a dback dealer either.

Maybe look into a rigid, it'll be more efficient and it'll let you be smoother on the big bike.