Thread: Loading Docks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Loading Docks

Yesterday, I was riding at a school down the street from my house and i spotted a loading dock that was probably a good 4 foot drop. It was a landing to flat, so i didnt try it, even though ive taken 4 footers before (to tranny). ANy advise as how ot not kill myself of off a loading dock, that would be sweet.

mtbr member
    use your legs as shocks and when u land just hold on, 4 feet isnt to bad to flat

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Get some speed and as you get the edge you want to get your weight back so your front tire doesn't fall down. As you're falling you want to either landing slightly on your back tire or on both and then allow your fork to do as much of the impact as possible while you absorb the rest with your body.
    Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yea, im gonna go try it right now

Peace

mtbr member
    If you can mannal. Come at it at an average speed and pull up like you are doing a mannal and drop the back end and make sure your legs are bent so you don't brake your bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just got home from a ride with some friends. We stopped by that loading dock, but i ended up not going off of it. The first time i saw it, this bay door was open so there was a decent run in. But the bay door was closed because there was no school today, so there was a 3 or 4 foot run in. There was this other ledge that was about the same height that i went off. I used the advise of sucking it up with my legs and letting my fork do most of the work. Worked really well, thanks for the advice. Cant wait to try it out off of that loading dock!!!

mtbr member
    land back tire first. when you go off, kinda pull a little manual so your back end drops right down. it is much more comfortable than both tires at the same time. Thats how trials riders overcome large drops to flat. back tire first

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    that's how i broke my last bike...
    landed on the rear wheel, legs were nicely absorbing the shock... until the left crank snapped... then my nads were absorbing the shock of smacking the top tube. that was the last day i've done agressive riding on a standard-frame (ie: tall seat tube, horizontal top tube) bike. the low standover bikes have their major advantages

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhallilama
    that's how i broke my last bike...
    landed on the rear wheel, legs were nicely absorbing the shock... until the left crank snapped... then my nads were absorbing the shock of smacking the top tube. that was the last day i've done agressive riding on a standard-frame (ie: tall seat tube, horizontal top tube) bike. the low standover bikes have their major advantages
    I feel sorry for your nads. It's happened to me countless times, but not on loading docks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Make sure you seat post is WAY down. Sounds dumb, but I noticed from your other post you have a Fisher Opie or such. The geometry on those allows you to put the post up for trail riding and getting around town. My Rumble is the same way, and I've bent some really nice posts when I was commuting to work and just decided to huck a new dock for the hell of it. You need a lot of space under your ass for your legs to work as shock absorbers.