Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    What are you looking at?
    Reputation: R1D3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    951

    New question here. Light Weight 24 Urban Custom? Dumb? Amazing?

    Ok this may sound a little specific but whatever. I'm looking to build a sorta DJ but mostly Urban style bike with 24 inch wheels, 80mm (or maybe even shorter) travel fork, and probably single speed would be best. I'm thinking a good fork is more important to me than top of the line components (i don't need carbon anything or XO stuff). I would probable just have one avid 5ball mec brake in the rear. Now it gets harder... I'd like if i could keep it around 30lbs (I'm really light weight) to get maximum pop and flickiness. For the frame I was thinking about a Dobermann Pinscher or 243 SL, but I am totally open to other suggestions, I'd just like to keep the frame around $500. How much would this cost? Is this even practical? Sorry if this idea is all over the place. Thanks .
    Orange Heckler

    Blue Pinscher

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    561
    sounds like money you possess. i like dobermanns or blkmrkt riot is good to.

  3. #3
    Premium Member
    Reputation: Ojai Bicyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,843
    Blkmarkts DON'T ride well with 24s. Too low.

    You absolute BEST bets for a 24" bike are a Nemesis Project Deathmobile/Secret Agent, a Tonic Fab Fall Guy, or a Union Street bikes Molly.

    The NP DM is BMX hub, V-brake, as is the Fall Guy. The Molly uses a 990. The NP SA uses a disc brake.

    IMO for a real DJ/street/park bike discs suck. You always hit the rotor on crap and they suck at stalls. So the Fall Guy, Molly, and DeathMobile are your best choices. The frame prices are all about 5-7 hunded bucks.

    www.tonicfab.com
    www.nemesisproject.com
    www.unionstreetbikes.com

    Also check out this thread on Ridemonkey:
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128368

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    Ok this may sound a little specific but whatever. I'm looking to build a sorta DJ but mostly Urban style bike with 24 inch wheels, 80mm (or maybe even shorter) travel fork, and probably single speed would be best. I'm thinking a good fork is more important to me than top of the line components (i don't need carbon anything or XO stuff). I would probable just have one avid 5ball mec brake in the rear. Now it gets harder... I'd like if i could keep it around 30lbs (I'm really light weight) to get maximum pop and flickiness. For the frame I was thinking about a Dobermann Pinscher or 243 SL, but I am totally open to other suggestions, I'd just like to keep the frame around $500. How much would this cost? Is this even practical? Sorry if this idea is all over the place. Thanks .

    YES sounds like your looking for either a Nemesis Project Secret Agent or the new frame we currently developing the Feild Agent ( lighter cheeper version of the SA )

    Check out our site at www.NemesisProject.com

    FYI Dobermann bikes are very good but have hight B/B and are only built with Versus tube sets

    Secret Agent's are now made from 100% custom butted TrueTemper OX platinum tube sets , there is a HUGE weight and strengh differnce between these two tube sets .... not to mention ride feel soemthing most people seem to over look these days
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  5. #5
    What are you looking at?
    Reputation: R1D3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    951
    About how much will the Feild Agent cost?
    Orange Heckler

    Blue Pinscher

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    About how much will the Feild Agent cost?

    $500 retail ... availible on January 1 2007
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  7. #7
    What are you looking at?
    Reputation: R1D3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    951
    Got any preview pics of it???
    Orange Heckler

    Blue Pinscher

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22
    www.unionstreetbikes.com

    Molly's are 24" specific and in stock. $500

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    561
    sorry forgot he wanted 24s oops. im getting a dm someday and that looks dialed. get it. or a tonic or usb molly. but get the dm

  10. #10
    What are you looking at?
    Reputation: R1D3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    951
    I just did a search on nemesis tuned z1's and I found this. Is the dj2 still for sale?

    http://www.ridemonkey.com/classified...ct=2201&cat=41
    Orange Heckler

    Blue Pinscher

  11. #11
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    I'd recommend the 24'' secret agent, or a Fall Guy. Dobermann is sick too.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    I think you really couldnt go wrong with a Nemesis Project, Union streetbikes molly, or tonic fab fall guy. All are great bikes. forget the disc brake. v's (or 990's in the mollys case) are alot better for urban.

  13. #13
    What are you looking at?
    Reputation: R1D3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    951
    Has anyone here ridden a Fall Guy?
    Orange Heckler

    Blue Pinscher

  14. #14
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    if you like disk brakes, don't let cummings influence you. Personally, I tend to agree that a good rim brake is better for park and street, but there is nothing wrong with disk. If trials riders can do their stuff with a rear disk brake (they prefer rim though, because supposedly rim brakes have better modulation, whatever the hell that means), than sure as hell you can do yours.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  15. #15
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    Closest thing I've ridden to that was a .243 with 24 inch wheels.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  16. #16
    What are you looking at?
    Reputation: R1D3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    951
    I didn't have my heart set on disks, and I'm totally open to rim brakes. I didn't realize that was the way most park bikes are.
    Orange Heckler

    Blue Pinscher

  17. #17
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    I didn't have my heart set on disks, and I'm totally open to rim brakes. I didn't realize that was the way most park bikes are.

    don't let people here throw you off and tell you that rim is the how the majority of big wheel street/park/dj bikes are run....
    yes, it's true, both have their advantages, etc., but most bikes I see are actually rear disc only. Just don't grind on the non-drive side and you'll be fine. I like my disc, but I have no opposition to running rim if I ever bought a bmx spaced bike.

    But that said, with the Deathmobile, Fallguy, or Molly, you can only run rim brakes because of the skinny 110mm spaced rear end meant for a BMX SS cassette hub.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    if you like disk brakes, don't let cummings influence you. Personally, I tend to agree that a good rim brake is better for park and street, but there is nothing wrong with disk. If trials riders can do their stuff with a rear disk brake (they prefer rim though, because supposedly rim brakes have better modulation, whatever the hell that means), than sure as hell you can do yours.
    I guess I forgot to list the reasons WHY rim brakes. Disc brakes are often a nuisance for urban and park. they get in the way and can easily get destroyed. You're gonna have alot more problems with discs (avid mechs arent nearly as problematic as hydros, but still). This guy wants a 30lbs or less bike. rim brakes are much lighter than discs. a great rim brake setup can be had at the same price as an average disc setup. also cheaper replacement parts. Discs have better modulation than rim brakes, but modulation isnt something needed for street, park (can help a bit with djs, but not needed, look at bmx for example.) But what is needed for street, park is the on-off braking capability, so you can lock up your back wheel for stalls, etc. And that is what you get with a good, properly set up rim brake.

    And dirtyharry, please know what your talking about before you say something. You even admit that you dont know what the hell modulation is, so dont debate about it. You also contradict yourself. You say "trials riders do their stuff with a rear disc brake" but then in brackets you go on to say " trials riders prefer rim brakes". You make no sense. You also said "rim brakes have better modulation"(which you dont know what that is), when infact, discs have better modulation.

    Also, if this guy is set on discs, go ahead, just want people to have an open mind about things that they may not have known about.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc

    FYI Dobermann bikes are very good but have hight B/B
    Well..dude...that what you want !!
    This is ZE trick that make the dob ride so good.
    Specialy on 24" but hey ... untill youv tryed it you cant really know... its also a presonal choices...but its what all our consumer and riders have been telling us.

    The Pinschers are 500$ CAD(435.80USD).
    Shipping and custom color paint job included **for the US consumer only**

    We have some available NOW. (well... let say a week before we get to paint yours)


    Cheers!

    Alain
    Dob

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    Got any preview pics of it???
    frames are in production now and they will still have full OX platinum tube set's ... NOT just TOP TUBES like some "other " frames out there for the same price FYI
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    don't let people here throw you off and tell you that rim is the how the majority of big wheel street/park/dj bikes are run....
    yes, it's true, both have their advantages, etc., but most bikes I see are actually rear disc only. Just don't grind on the non-drive side and you'll be fine. I like my disc, but I have no opposition to running rim if I ever bought a bmx spaced bike.

    But that said, with the Deathmobile, Fallguy, or Molly, you can only run rim brakes because of the skinny 110mm spaced rear end meant for a BMX SS cassette hub.

    Well if they ask we can always make a custom 135mm DeathMobiles w/ disk tabs .
    See pic's below of Josh's custom 135mm DM with disk tab !


    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  22. #22
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Well if they ask we can always make a custom 135mm DeathMobiles w/ disk tabs .
    See pic's below of Josh's custom 135mm DM with disk tab !



    yeah, I've got pics of that badsucka in my computer... thought it was a one time run deal though... but what about 24" too?
    Schralp it Heavy.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, I've got pics of that badsucka in my computer... thought it was a one time run deal though... but what about 24" too?

    Sure 24" or 26"
    whatever the customer wants as there ALWAYS right

    Since josh built it up we have gotten a TON of emails asking for frames like this , seems to be the new favorite bike on the net
    I'm going to try to keep a few 24" and 26" Disk specific DM on the build list due to the great response we have gotten about this frame .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  24. #24
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Sure 24" or 26"
    whatever the customer wants as there ALWAYS right

    Since josh built it up we have gotten a TON of emails asking for frames like this , seems to be the new favorite bike on the net
    I'm going to try to keep a few 24" and 26" Disk specific DM on the build list due to the great response we have gotten about this frame .
    c'mon, are you serious? I threw up a request and recommendation for that EXACT same thing about the time I was building up my Eastern, like 5+ months ago! And I remember, your answer was basically, not that is not what we are going for with the Deathmobile and I don't know of any quality 14mm X 135mm hubs on the market... ...
    I'm serious, but no worries, just kind of ironic...

    now... throw in some sort of "laser-cut" this and that, and engraved that and something, as well as an integrated thingy clamp (hint hint), and you'd probably have even more mob alternative customers pounding down your walls.
    or SPEEDHOLES! haha. you can write "Platinum OX" and drill a nice hole through the "O"
    Schralp it Heavy.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    c'mon, are you serious? I threw up a request and recommendation for that EXACT same thing about the time I was building up my Eastern, like 5+ months ago! And I remember, your answer was basically, not that is not what we are going for with the Deathmobile and I don't know of any quality 14mm X 135mm hubs on the market... ...
    I'm serious, but no worries, just kind of ironic...

    now... throw in some sort of "laser-cut" this and that, and engraved that and something, as well as an integrated thingy clamp (hint hint), and you'd probably have even more mob alternative customers pounding down your walls.
    or SPEEDHOLES! haha. you can write "Platinum OX" and drill a nice hole through the "O"

    Oh sorry about that
    At the time of your original post I wasent able to get 135mm X 14mm hubs , they just wernt available .. AT ALL

    Now Eastern has a S load of them as well as GreesyComb blowing the Revel hubs out . So this opened up possibilities for rides to get the parts needed to build up a frame of this nature . I'm not going to put something into production unless customer's can get the needed parts to assemble them .

    hmmm laser cut spreaders and such ... not 100% convinced that these are stronger and lighter .. only time will tell . Looks to be more of a bmx fad than a sound engineering concept . But that's just my opinion .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •