mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Light tires and tubes...good or bad?

Right now my urban/DJ bike weighs about 35 pounds and I wouldn't mind lightening it up a bit. It has 24" wheels currently with Hookworms (1000g each) and Maxxis downhill tubes (450g each). I was thinking of switching to some K Rads with normal tubes and saving about 2 pounds which is huge in the wheels.

The setup I have now is pretty bomber and I am worried about flats with my new planned setup. Am I worrying about nothing or should I just stick with the setup I have now? I weigh 150 if that matters. Thanks guys.

Premium Member
    Definately run K-rads and XC tubes. With high pressure (50+ PSI) and your weight you'll have no problems. Spins and such'll be easier without those boat anchor wheels.

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Definately run K-rads and XC tubes. With high pressure (50+ PSI) and your weight you'll have no problems. Spins and such'll be easier without those boat anchor wheels.
    What he said.

I post too much.
    A cheap way to lighten the bike is to go single speed too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It is already a singlespeed...a pig of a singlespeed. I will be replacing the terrible MZ Comp that is on there now with an 07 Gold Label. That should help as well.

mtbr member
    yes, get rid of the massive hookworms. about the 07 gold label, is there any difference between it and the 06?

I post too much.
    I dunno, the model year maybe? If it had any teething problems, maybe manitou has fixed them. I haven't heard of any broken gold labels though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ah, they have new colors...a pearlescent white and a lime green I believe. I got the white. Not sure about any real mechanical changes but I do know someone that broke an 06 Gold Label.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    depends on the use. KRads have weak sidewalls. Get the Kiniptions instead, mch stronger sidewall and they go all the way to your rim. I run a Kiniption in front and a Specialized Comp in back (slick for urban) and they are pretty bomber without stupid weight like the worms. The Specialized are cheap too, like $12! Best urban rear tire I've tried.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!