Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's do it.

mtbr member

Let's do it.

It's time, in the pics the cru's are set @ 15''.
    HA = 70
    ST= 71
    We need a BB height, and a fork preference.
    Talk to me.
    I'm ready !!
    RTW.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I post too much.
    80mm was the fork travel that was voted. Go for a gold label in white, for the hot rod style.

BB height should be maybe 12-12.5'' to allow the use of 24's, if whoever gets the frame chooses to do so. Oh and rick, make sure you can at least run a 2.2 back there with the axle all the way into the drop-outs.

This is going to be hella sick!!

(btw I dig the "get fat" sticker.)

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    for the bb lets go with the higher setup that was discused in the progress thread, it would be tight cause it would efectivly lower the tt height, makin tricks easier

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    uh 80 was not the voted fork travel

I post too much.
    I'll go check in the poll right now.

I post too much.
    You are correct. 100mm was the fork size chosen. That opens up more possibilities.

Argyle(Unknown A2C, I estimate it to be at 475mm), Gold Label(455mm A2C), DJ1(485mm A2C), or even a Pike(475mm A2C @ 95mm travel).
    Last edited by snaky69; 09-19-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i dont no alot about forks but i do think it has to have lockout, good adjustability, and killer looks

I post too much.
    There aren't a lot of forks that can handle the abuse of urban and dj and park that feature a lock-out, those are more for cross-country and all-mountain forks. It it possible though to get the pike and the argyle to be almost completely locked out by cranking the compression to the max and putting the floodgate setting on full closed. The dj series does not have any form of lockout. Only the dj1 has adjustability. Gold labels only have rebound adjust.

tuck-n-roll master
    I say go with a modded pike and a 13"bb height. Pikes are damn expensive though. I change my fork preference to whatever is on sale, as long as it's not a DJ Comp.

Less yappin, more Brappin
    Hey Rick,

Nice rack,

I mean... jig

Salsa Shark
    My vote is for a 13" bb height, and a Pike 426 u-turn. Look on eBay for the Pike, I think my friend (hofferfish) got his for around $300 brand new.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Local Paperboy Hero
    My vote is for a higher BB, but 13" might be a good compromise. That would be zero rise or drop, right? That would look slick with these dropouts.

I'll throw in a vote for 100mm Gold Labels, but a Pike would be fine.

Rick, what else are you thinking? TT inline with the seat stay? How long of TT? I vote at least 22".

dirt rules
    BB under 12" for urban/DJ 22" TT

rock hard or hardrock
    pike all the way
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Gold Label. More street oriented. It has a grind bolt. And it can easily be reduced to 80mm. If you are going to go with rockshox, try out the new argyle. And yes, make sure the wheel can be slammed without tire rub. Its a little annoying when it cant.

I post too much.
    A higher BB makes the bike easier to pull off tricks on. So I wouldn't go under 12'' to allow for 24'' use.

mtbr member
    Yah, a GoldLabel probably be schweetsky. And ariund 13'' BB height is probably about right.

mtbr member
    The argyle looks radical.
    woooooooooo

What are you looking at?
    Argyle in mint
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

I post too much.
    I'd go argyle or goldlabel.

What are you looking at?
    Raw aluminum frame with green writing and a mint argyle
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

I post too much.
    R1D3R, that'd be sweet. But I don't know if rick is still going for hot rod stylin'.

resident dumbass
    Go argyle! That fork is undeniably hot! But you can find new gold labels, white or black, in 80 or 100 mm for real good deals. Check out pricepoint! 350 BUCKS!
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr remember
    alright RTW, the JIG IS UP!

yeah, now that I think about it.... I agree. seems the 13" bb height would be good for 26".

what a2c does the 100mm Gold Label have? is it the same as the 80mm Gold Label, just without travel restriction? simple question, but something I just wondered.
    as for a fork... eh, why not, gold label sounds good. and rick, I remember you liked Manitou. I just don't know about the argyle yet.... I think it's a2c is around the 470mm mark. I like my dj2, but I know others would shoot it down for fairly obvious reasons. hmmm... it's hard to choose these things because just changing the fork, or even tires can change the angles and bb height....
    RTW, how is the downtube to headtube junction going to look? Gusset? tube gusset, plate gusset? straight? need to make sure there is a little bit of clearance for fork crowns for x-ups and b-spins...
    and I'm assuming thats a euro bb, what size? 68mm shell? and looks like a normal headtube for pressfit headsets.
    Schralp it Heavy.

I post too much.
    White gold label would def look hot. White argyle too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    alright RTW, the JIG IS UP!

yeah, now that I think about it.... I agree. seems the 13" bb height would be good for 26".

what a2c does the 100mm Gold Label have? is it the same as the 80mm Gold Label, just without travel restriction? simple question, but something I just wondered.
    as for a fork... eh, why not, gold label sounds good. and rick, I remember you liked Manitou. I just don't know about the argyle yet.... I think it's a2c is around the 470mm mark. I like my dj2, but I know others would shoot it down for fairly obvious reasons. hmmm... it's hard to choose these things because just changing the fork, or even tires can change the angles and bb height....
    RTW, how is the downtube to headtube junction going to look? Gusset? tube gusset, plate gusset? straight? need to make sure there is a little bit of clearance for fork crowns for x-ups and b-spins...
    and I'm assuming thats a euro bb, what size? 68mm shell? and looks like a normal headtube for pressfit headsets.

Hey Bro,
    So, your good with a straight line BB ? Let me know.
    My shells are 68 and 73, both threaded. Work with it.
    I am trying to move side jobs back right now, and I will, so I'm rushed.
    Today when I had a moment, I started to look @ stay geo. We're going to have to come up with a BB/Yoke combo to hold the 15'' with a 2.2
    I don't know if it has been done, but it's going to be now.
    Good points about the HT/DT junction, I can weld the crack of dawn, so trust me.
    I am going to look @ chainline tomorrow.
    I wish you all could come over and help me........
    RTW

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    Hey Bro,
    So, your good with a straight line BB ? Let me know.
    My shells are 68 and 73, both threaded. Work with it.
    I am trying to move side jobs back right now, and I will, so I'm rushed.
    Today when I had a moment, I started to look @ stay geo. We're going to have to come up with a BB/Yoke combo to hold the 15'' with a 2.2
    I don't know if it has been done, but it's going to be now.
    Good points about the HT/DT junction, I can weld the crack of dawn, so trust me.
    I am going to look @ chainline tomorrow.
    I wish you all could come over and help me........
    RTW

yep, lucky number 13 sounds like what the people want! hey, my lucky # as well.

so, 73 might be the size for the bb I think... what about everyone else? since you are trying to work in a yoke for a slammed 2.2 in there, the wider bb would help out a lot I think. yeah, hmm, that bb/yoke combo is gonna be a shoehorn... but I can't wait to see it!
    but, just a side note for now - with the 73mm and planning on using a bmx "off-the-shelf" crank, an aftermarket 6" (profile or FSA come to mind) spindle will be needed, but the BB stays the same, just with an extra inside spacer...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    13 inch on the bb all the way
    green argyle=tight

resident dumbass
    Get a white fork. I've honestly never seen anybody with one. I've seen navy blue, black/silver, black/goldish color, all black, (all up close) but never white, or white/black. I forgot to mention, the white gold label jumper is the best looking fork I've ever seen. I can't find a good image on google to post, but I've seen pics of Fall Guys w/ white gold labels. They're beyond frickin' awesome looking. Keep in mind they're about a pound lighter than Argyles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    not really, i vote lowered argyle or gold label. i think a 80-100 mm argyle in mint and white frame with green writing would be off the hook!

mtbr remember
    any idea what the '07 Gold Label looks like? any updates or changes? I have seen some like pastel color manitou lowers floating around.... but not on a gold label yet... just wondering, might be sweet.
    and, does anybody even know how to lower an argyle yet, before we start recommending that choice... ?
    Schralp it Heavy.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Dont forget to add vsuro's deployable wing. ( a concept believed by vsuro to be way over our heads)

Meh.
    I think we found a name for our rig. Lucky 13.

If somebody can snap a pic of the inner working of an Argyle I can tell you whether or not it can be lowered.

resident dumbass
    The 07 Gold Label looks like the 06 one.

mtbr remember
    I think it was Zaefod, who was one of the first posters on this urban/dj/park forum who had an argyle on his Orange... he should be able to get first-hand measurements.
    Schralp it Heavy.

I post too much.
    73mm bb shell to allow for a wider chainstay yoke to be welded on. Making it possible to have huge tire clearance. Although wouldn't that make your heels rub on the chainstay if the cranks aren't far enough apart? Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    73mm bb shell to allow for a wider chainstay yoke to be welded on. Making it possible to have huge tire clearance. Although wouldn't that make your heels rub on the chainstay if the cranks aren't far enough apart? Just a thought.
    Good point snaky, I'm going on the mill tomorrow and think I might have the numbers good for a welded BB/Yoke combo. If it flies, I might have some machined 1 piece, innovation eh ?
    I will post pic's.
    Also if you guys have decided on a specific fork ( if not, you need to ) get the A/C and rake/trail posted so I can rig the HT control on the jig.
    Wait till you see the seat tube...............

RTW.

PS, I have been mulling some names for the frame, and right now I'm partial to '' The Snaky 69 ''.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    1 piece bb/yoke sounds nice
    and my fork vote is the green argyle
    unless someone has a really good reason to use a diferent one

Air Junkie
    Hey man I just goofin around and did this for kicks, I have no idea as to what the frame's shape actually is planned, I used twin square toptubes similar to a nicoli, and went wih the old simple is best look, a straight line to everywhere. hehe oh well,

I post too much.
    I really like the pic haha! I like the bike name's too for some reason

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    thats exactly what ive been wantin to see with the double tt going in as one with the seat stays, look super sick

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    But its been done.... The whole point of this is to create a different bike I thought?

mtbr member
    wow...agonizing week.

not only did i get banned from mtbr for a week (oops!) but the bank held my paycheck, so i could not get my camera till yesterday...and to top it all off my frame cracked...the chainstay snapped

and, if that wasnt enough i got the call from revolution cycle today that my frame wast going to be covered by warranty.

anyway, glad to see this bike getting underway, thats one good thing this week

I post too much.
    I'm also pissed. For some unknown reason my bank refused to add funds to my paypal account, because it says I didn't have enough money?? I had approx 200 more than what I had asked to transfer to paypal... This is frickin weird...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    But its been done.... The whole point of this is to create a different bike I thought?
    Yes it has, and we ain't goin' there, nice job though Sudden J. Also I'll add that the 2 tube design is a piece of cake to build, almost no fitting.
    Here are the pic's of the BB /Yoke before I weld them up. All I have to do to them is the chamfer. Not too shabby, eh ?
    The BB is 83mm, had to be for clearance issues, and if I have to I can extend a BMX spindle, no worries.
    We might be able to stick a 2.5 on 15'' stays. Too fvckin sick
    Get me some fork info, or I'll have to pick. I have a refurbed 2000 Marzocchi Z1 mcr @ 130mm and ECC @ 100mm with downhill springs in it.................
    RTW.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    that lookks so sweet

mtbr member
    mmmm, thats hot!

the z-1 seems like a good choice...imo

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    wow...agonizing week.

not only did i get banned from mtbr for a week (oops!) but the bank held my paycheck, so i could not get my camera till yesterday...and to top it all off my frame cracked...the chainstay snapped

and, if that wasnt enough i got the call from revolution cycle today that my frame wast going to be covered by warranty.

anyway, glad to see this bike getting underway, thats one good thing this week
    That is a leading canidate for worst week ever.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    Yes it has, and we ain't goin' there, nice job though Sudden J. Also I'll add that the 2 tube design is a piece of cake to build, almost no fitting.
    Here are the pic's of the BB /Yoke before I weld them up. All I have to do to them is the chamfer. Not too shabby, eh ?
    The BB is 83mm, had to be for clearance issues, and if I have to I can extend a BMX spindle, no worries.
    We might be able to stick a 2.5 on 15'' stays. Too fvckin sick
    Get me some fork info, or I'll have to pick. I have a refurbed 2000 Marzocchi Z1 mcr @ 130mm and ECC @ 100mm with downhill springs in it.................
    RTW.
    Funny, I was just about to draw exactly that type of BB yoke combination on photoshop and post it.

I'd go with the Z1 and lower it, or a new fork might be nice. I'm partial to the look of the argyle in white myself.

I post too much.
    Rick. In the machined part of the yoke, you just HAVE to engrave oldschool welding in there. It would simply look extacly in its place right there. Something along the lines of:

Oldschool Welding
    DJ/URBAN Custom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast