Thread: kona shred ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

kona shred ?

Would this make a very good starter urban/dj /park bike

I post too much.
    Depends on your budget, but IMO it is a nice bike for a beginner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Got one as my 1st dj bike. i think its a good starter bike.

mtbr member
    It was my 1st DJ as well, I since sold it to my boy and he loves it.

Now I ride a Stuff and won't ever get rid of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    it will be used for most urban and park some dirt. I was wondering if this was an ok bike for begginer trials like hopping stuff like that

I post too much.
    Maybe not the best for trials, it is more of a dirt jumping bike. Mind you, if you get one sized small enough(not too much so as to not be uncomfortable) it is trials rideable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    well I live in racine south of milwaukee right on lake michigan and ther is alot of stair gaps and
    drops I was wondering if this bike would handle it ok. we also have the 3rd best skatepark in the state and ther are some dirt jumps around and i plan on making some to

Portland, OR
    I wouldent reccomend a shred for urban/street riding at all. they're pretty big frames and the geo is a lot more twords trail and DJ. check out the P. series, STP series and Giant lineup. I've been doing a little trials with my P.2 and it gets the job done, just not very well. theres a reason why trials bikes are way different than thything else. also you might want something that has V brake mounts. I know an awesome deal was just out, someone was selling a 02 norco 250 all trial'ed out.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Biker for Life
    i got my shred this time last year. it was my first bike, the only bad thing was that i got a small because i was about four inches smaller last year and it fit me fine. but now i hit my knees off of my handlebars sometimes. but other than that it is pretty good, i take it ti the mountain behind my house and ride that, there is some pretty big hills and big rocks. i have attmepted trials with it and it just isnt made for it. but i can do urban with it. i can bunnyhop up a 2 foot ledge (the highest i have tried.) can do some nice ledges, i think the biggest i hit is 6 foot to a little hill to the left of it. that ledge and some other ones will be on a video that i am planning on filming the rest of this weekend.
    afk irl

mtbr member
    Yea you're trying to cover to many apps for this bike. I don't know how old you are, if you're still growing. I'm not so I got me an XS frame, it fits me damn good so I can do urban and dirt. For park I ride a 20". When I first started riding I was taking my Kona off stair gaps and it took them hella good. I took some serious falls to flat and again the frame held up really good.

I post too much.
    I used to do urban and dj on my kona stuff, you can get used to any frame at all, it worked just fine.