Do not feed the TROLL!

New question here. Kona Cowan DS + 66 RC2X= Too Tall??

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a Kona cowan DS and putting a 150mm(6") 66 RC2X for DJing and Shore riding, would this make the bike too tall or would it be fine. I really don't want a jacked up front end!
    Always having fun!

mtbr member
    i know a guy who has a 66 sl on his cowan ds, he loves the ride of it, ic ant remeber if he has it at 150mm or 170mm, but i would guess 150 as 170 would be far two tall in my opinion. I reckon a 150mm rc2x would be very nice on it ... thats my opinion any ho
    laser guided democracy

Do not feed the TROLL!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRick
    i know a guy who has a 66 sl on his cowan ds, he loves the ride of it, ic ant remeber if he has it at 150mm or 170mm, but i would guess 150 as 170 would be far two tall in my opinion. I reckon a 150mm rc2x would be very nice on it ... thats my opinion any ho
    Sweet thanks, yah, i'm also thinking of putting a 66sl on it as well. But, I kinda like the coil springs on the trail, don't know what to do.
    Always having fun!

mtbr member
    do it! or a pike

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    no way! get a fox talas 36 if you're goin to spend the money. Ive ridden one, and I think that bike will be my next setup, singlespeed of course!

mtbr member
    Pfff. Have you also rode a 66rc2x? the 66 is more freeride/shore oriented imo. The Fox is nice tho. Its up to him.

Do not feed the TROLL!
    But, they both seem good. I guess the Fox would be nice because its light, but I have always trusted Marzocchi.
    Always having fun!

mtbr member
    if it was a different frame i qould probuably go for the sl due to the adjustment it has. But the thing is teh rc2x is aparently a nicer fork, just without the travell adjusment due to the new dampening features it has. I would go for the rc2x due to the fact it is a coil aswell as air, (i think?) so it maybe a tinsy bit smoother, and with the sl you wouldn't adjust the travel to 170... unless your a bit stupid. i would personaly say 150 is the max for that frame... but thats only me, each to their own =)
    laser guided democracy

Do not feed the TROLL!
    Thanks for everyone's advice, but unfortunately, none of them will work. I emailed the tech center for kona and they said the biggest fork you can put on it is a 4" fork! I have seen people with 6'' forks on theirs but I guess the warrenty is void or something. I guess I have to get a Marzocchi DJer2 since you can't buy the DJer1 in stores. Too bad.
    Always having fun!

mtbr member
    loads of people put 66's on it, hwo do they no that your going to put a bigger fork than recomended on it that frame will take whatever your throw at it within reason of course, a 6" fork wont screw it up atall
    laser guided democracy

mtbr member
    dont get a djer get a argly !
    laser guided democracy

What's that smell?
    I like my 150 mm Z1 FRIII:

rock hard or hardrock
    if you mean "ds" as dual suspension...i have been looking allover for those and cant find them. please someone put up a link or a pic
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

What's that smell?