mtbr member
    Sep 2007

kona cowan 06 vs cowan 07

hey guys.im new to this forum.which bike would you recommend between a kona cowan 06 and a cowan 07? thanks.

Manual4ever
    far as I know they are the same? but the color changed.

Don't Buy Nike's
    id say 07 as its newer
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Roadies suck man tang.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks.but what about 07 and 08 cowan?

Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006
    wait for the 09 as it has a nicer paint job.

Seriously, just go try them out. Being kona's I doubt they've changed much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    alright thanks. do you have a preview of the 09 kona?

I post too much.
    I'd choose the '08, much better geometry. They steepened the head angle by two degrees this year, which will make the bike much more nimble, and they shortened the chainstays by quite a bit as well. Might not make it into a lean mean street machine, but it will still be MUCH better than it was.

Having ridden a Kona, I can tell ya that those feel at home on the big DJ's, extremely stable in the air, strong frame, fun bikes. They were sloppy though on the street with their laid back geometry. Now with the new head angle and shorter chainstays, the wheelbase will be shorter and the bike will be much more responsive to rider input.

The '09s have no shown themselves yet, so don't go looking for them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thank everyone for your opinion.

To "Air" Is Human
    Quote Originally Posted by hazylogic
    wait for the 09 as it has a nicer paint job.

Seriously, just go try them out. Being kona's I doubt they've changed much.
    That is some hazy logic. The 2008's are just being released and you are talking about the 2009's?

There is a big difference between the 2008's and the 07/06 bikes. The stays are about 1/2" shorter than the Scrap and Stuff, the dropouts are interchangeable instead of adjustable sliding units, the toptubes are longer, they no longer run the Kona Cowan chainguide, and now the color sucks. Is that not enough change for you?

Other changes in the Kona line are the CoiAir platform, Dawg platform, Fours, Stinkys, etc.

As far as street, Kona has released the Shonky street frame. It is in a different thread. The Konas are built for air and dirt. The geometry is different than other bikes but Kona says they are DJ bikes and not a "do-it-all" kind of bike. I just saw Snaky posted up:

Quote Originally Posted by Snaky69
    Having ridden a Kona, I can tell ya that those feel at home on the big DJ's, extremely stable in the air, strong frame, fun bikes. They were sloppy though on the street with their laid back geometry.
    That's a good assement. You can go huge on DJ's on a Kona and they feel at home in the resorts.

litterelf, if you want to DJ I highly recommend a Cowan, I haven't tried out the 2008 yet but it appears to be a more manegable frame than the 07. If the 07 or 06 is a good deal I would check them out. One of our mechanics rides a 07 Cowan and he is loving life. He digs every day.