mtbr member
    Oct 2017

know any cheap Dirt jump bike's

hey, I'm looking to buy a dirt jump bike, does anyone know a good beginner bike thats cheap.

@njcshreds
    How cheap is cheap for you? There are good deals to be had on PB and CL.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '16 Norco Indie
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Depending on where you are in the world, there may not be any such thing. The shipping fees for PB can make the cheapest bike expensive and if you live in an area like I do, with very local interest in that type of riding you may see only one bike in a year on CL within 100 miles. I ended up finding a new frame for $200 and building my own, and still ended up spending close to $600, that only because I happened to have a spare rigid fork in the parts bin.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Go BMX.
    Cheaper, stronger, jumpier.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Used DJ bikes can be found for cheap, with decent spec and often in good shape, so watch Cl and PB, as mentioned above. Haro steel reserve is a pretty decent budget frame with pretty good geo.

I picked up a Transition TOP (trail or park) frame for cheap because they released the newer PBJ, and I love it. (Also had a PBJ for a bit).

How tall are you?
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Motobecane has some affordable options at Bikes direct. I posted in the Moto forum yesterday to see if anyone had any experience with them. No answers yet. The components seem pretty good, especially on the higher end one that I'm considering. Maybe someone here in the DJ forum could weigh in.

Save up to 60% off new Adult BMX ALL BIKES FREE SHIP 48, NO TAX Collected 48 States Save Up to 60% Off Gravity CoJones EXPERT Bicycles Dirt Jump Dirt Jump Bikes, BMX Cruiser Bikes

Save up to 60% off new Adult BMX ALL BIKES FREE SHIP 48, NO TAX Collected 48 States Save Up to 60% Off Gravity CoJones EXPERT Bicycles Dirt Jump Dirt Jump Bikes, BMX Cruiser Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The Steel Reserve looks like a better bike and can be found new for under $600. Those gravity bikes are not exactly light, regardless of the pricey fork spec, and it's an alloy frame (one dent away from being scrap metal).

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    The Steel Reserve looks like a better bike and can be found new for under $600. Those gravity bikes are not exactly light, regardless of the pricey fork spec, and it's an alloy frame (one dent away from being scrap metal).
    I hear you but isn't the Specialized P3 an aluminum frame? I guess I figured the parts on the Gravity could be swapped over to a better frame at a later date. I guess for me It seems more likely that I'd replace a $300-$400 frame over a $800 fork. Then again I'm not expire inced with DJ bikes at all. IDK if the Hydro brakes, bars, wheels, hubs, stem, etc... are worth much on the Gravity. I'm just trying to get a DJ with an adjustable fork for a bargain. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    You would at least get a warranty to fall back on with a new Specialized. A dj frame is tiny, so the net weight savings of alloy vs chomo is pretty minimal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    You would at least get a warranty to fall back on with a new Specialized. A dj frame is tiny, so the net weight savings of alloy vs chomo is pretty minimal.
    Understood. I've been checking out some other brands as well. The NS Metropolis 1 is only $300 more for the top end model. The Metropolis 3 is under $800 as well. Definitely looks worth the peace of mind. Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    FWIW, I picked up a new Norco Ryde 26 for $450 out the door from my LBS on a 15% off sale. It's a bottom of the barrel bike, but it works for what I needed and seems like a decent value for the price (though the fork is pretty crappy). I'm super pleased so far but haven't pushed its limits at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I was torn between that and a Stolen Spade 22" which also retails for $500. That bike was way more comfortable than I expected. I'm 6'1" and felt every bit as comfortable on that bike as the Norco, at least when cruising around the parking lot. Went with the 26" bike because I mostly ride a 29er.