mtbr member

KMC 710 SL chain...

Hey all,

Well I've been riding as much as I can lately, even if thats just up and down the road hopping around and trying to manual...

BUT - my shadow chain (which is almost a year old, mind you) just will notttt stop stretching. I have "heard" of this possibly being a problem in the past, but it's really annoying. Not to mention my chain is getting loose enough to start wearing my almost brand new fit DL chainwheel. So It's time to kick the bucket on ye 'olde shadow. Its heavy and worthless anyhow.

Which brings me to the 710sl. They seem to take the vote due to popularity... But are they popular for good reasons? I HATE breaking a chain... A snapped chain is the worst, IMO (then again, broken stem/bar/crank could all be up there...) Last thing I like is cranking my ass off to hit something, and nut myself on the stem/crash one epic crash because of said chain snapping.

How does the 710 sl hold up? I want strong, but I also want some bling and if I can save some weight, I'm all for it

Thanks!
    -Aaron Grove

Sinister Bandwagon
    KHE makes a wicked nice half link, never broken one and lasts for a good time

mtbr member
    Meh.... I think I am over the bulky half link stage in my life... not needed for the riding I do, and I can accomplish the same thing by using one half link.

mtbr member
    the regular 710 is the nicest chain i've ran. the holllow pin concept with the SL is cool and probably doesn't really sacrifice much strength, but it isn't worth it in my book.
    Last edited by ebfreerider510; 04-26-2008 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    The price difference is so minimal between the two though that I wouldn't have a problem paying a wee bit more to shave a wee bit of weight....

anyone? A LOT of people are running them... Common

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    i like mine and it looks cool, and the price really is negligible. I havnt broken mine, and it hasnt stretched nearly as much as my last chain...one of those 10 dollar 1-speed Sram dealies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    The price difference is so minimal between the two though that I wouldn't have a problem paying a wee bit more to shave a wee bit of weight....

anyone? A LOT of people are running them... Common

that's true. i never realized the SL was only like a buck or two more expensive online. very interesting. i paid 20 for mine at the LBS. they did give me a 6 month guaranty(sp?) for if it broke once they would me a refund.

if you really want more info on the chain just search or post up a thread on bikeguide. almost EVERY bike on there has that chain.

train gorilla
    I have one that stretched within the first 2 weeks. This happened on an old driver and new chainwheel. The regular 710 lasted longer without stretching.
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

Bikes Rule
    I love my SL. I actually used a 1/2 link from my Shadow V2 chain that I replaced. I had to use a roller from the SL and fit it between the plates of the 1/2 link to make it right. In the end it works perfectly. There was minimal stretch.

I had the same issue with my Shadow V2 1/2 link - constant stretching. I thought my rear wheel was breaking loose. Half way through my ride I would find a loose chain and go and re-position and tighten my rear wheel. What a pain in the arse.

So now I have a silver chain that is 1/4 lb lighter. Perfect.

mtbr member
    I am going for gold when I switch Blinginnn'.... I'm thinkin' i'll replace that this weekend. We'll see.