mtbr member
    Aug 2006

KK disk Hub broken on 2005 kona stuff

went out for a ride tonight and the hub gave up on me... as the title says its a 2005 kona stuff.. the axel broke and im looking for a replacement.. now how hard is it to find one online or would a LBS carry it.. or the other option of just not wasting my time and buy a new complete hub?

I post too much.
    The LBS who sold it to you should carry it.

Meh.
    The shop should have plenty of the axles that you need. If not, they can order one. It's about 15 bucks. It's nothing special since it's loose ball bearing. You can just use all the cones/races and locknuts from your current setup. If you're running QR, I suggest going to a solid bolt-on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ive called and they said you have to buy a new hub.. are they screwing me over

I post too much.
    Definitely yeah. You only need a new axle. Get a bolt on one, it'll make your drop-off feel slightly stiffer. And it will probably last some more time too.

Meh.
    If you damaged the flange or pitted the internal races, then you'll need a new hub. Otherwise you're just getting shafted.

I post too much.
    I think he's getting shafted. Those are some pretty tough hubs for having owned one.

Meh.
    They're not very tough hubs. OEM mass produced hubs. Loose ball bearing. Nothing spectacular.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If it's a KK Disc like the one on my Stinky, it's loose ball on one side and cartridge bearing on the other. I've tried getting the axle out before when overhauling it but it's locked in somehow to the cartridge bearing. Got any tips out how to get it out completely (other than get a bigger hammer) so I can think about replacing the bearing.