Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    khs dj 300 frame/build up kit VS Kona Shred

    Hello, my name is mark. I'm from Overland Park, KS. A suburb of Kansas City. I've been ridin bmx for a few years now and wanting to get on a mtb. I'm rockin a We The People Daredevil right now. I'm simply asking because I'm a complete newb to the whole mtb culture and would like to get my foot in the door. I know nothing about what brands are quality or the ones to stay away from. I'm on a budget and that's the main reasoning for choosing one or the other for my first bike. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

    this is the build up kit I'm considering http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=2677

  2. #2
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx85
    Hello, my name is mark. I'm from Overland Park, KS. A suburb of Kansas City. I've been ridin bmx for a few years now and wanting to get on a mtb. I'm rockin a We The People Daredevil right now. I'm simply asking because I'm a complete newb to the whole mtb culture and would like to get my foot in the door. I know nothing about what brands are quality or the ones to stay away from. I'm on a budget and that's the main reasoning for choosing one or the other for my first bike. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

    this is the build up kit I'm considering http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=2677
    The Konas have better geometry, and I feel that they're built a little bit better.

    Components WILL break as you progress, that's part of the reason Kona specs some of the lower end stuff.

  3. #3
    nOOb now rOOkie
    Reputation: Str8NoobYo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    74
    well i ride a 06' KHS dj50 and the frame is nice.. most people will rec. a giant STP or P series bike by specialized. But i have had no problems with my frame, i come from a BMX back ground too, and its a world of difference. just wait till you feel the 26"s under you (unless you go 24"s but still a big diff. to a 20") its so much diff. but you adapt over time.

  4. #4
    Moose Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    237
    id go with the kona. the shred frame is the same as the cowan. you could also build up a stuff with the wheel world build kit http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3742

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by hofferfish
    id go with the kona. the shred frame is the same as the cowan. you could also build up a stuff with the wheel world build kit http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3742
    Actually, I think the Cowan and Shred frames are slightly different. They are the same material, but if you look at closeups of each frame, there are differences, like on the chainstays. Take a peek here... http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...categoryid=182

    Not sure if the geometry is different...looks to be the same, but who knows.

  6. #6
    Thats not a picture of me
    Reputation: potvinwannab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    939
    go to bikeroom.com

    they are selling a complete khs dj200 STEEL bike for $429 canadian...best bang for buck
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

  7. #7
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    Shred is different from the Cowan. The Cowan has sliding vertical dropouts.

  8. #8
    Moose Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    237
    but still according to this they have the same geometry http://www.konaworld.com/tech/techni...6_Geometry.pdf

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902

    kONA

    I have a Kona Stuff and love it. I had a Shred but sold it to my boy but when I had it along with the Stuff, they ride great. I've had some gnarly front first to flat landings so I'm convinced the frame is built strong as hell. Great bike for someone to start DJ'n

  10. #10
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    Quote Originally Posted by hofferfish
    but still according to this they have the same geometry http://www.konaworld.com/tech/techni...6_Geometry.pdf
    Geometry is the same, but they aren't the same frame. Technically speaking. And the sliding vertical drops would change the chainstay length.

  11. #11
    What's that smell?
    Reputation: phxartboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    I have a Kona Stuff and love it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,676
    xmarkx85, what is your price range?? Just wondering cuz since you said you are a newb to mtb, we might be able to find you some better stuff.

  13. #13
    Moose Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    237
    ^^^i agree. i just picked up a new '04 p.3 on ebay for a little over 600$. just keep your eye out for good deals

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •