mtbr member
    May 2009

k2 funky monkey?

I have been lookin for a dj/urban bike for a while now and was searching for a giant stp but seing how im pretty poor these days, they are a little outta my price range. So recently i found a guy who has a k2 funky monkey, its all stock i dont know all the components yet but from what i understand if i do pick it up one of the first things ill be doin is swappin the rock shox judys out. but the guys willing to take 200 bucks. I'll be using it for more urban riding (and weight loss) as much as i would like to convince my self that ill try some dirt jumping it probably wont happen. I think it might be a good first bike if i stick with it i can always upgrade, components until im ready to drop some bigger bills for a better bike. what do you all think might this old monkey be with it? also i have been scouring the net for info and it appears that it was only made in 02 but the frames seem to vary between two different styles. any info on this? heres a pic of the one im lookin at:
    Last edited by kingbrian24; 05-30-2009 at 12:39 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    no opinions at all? no "its a crappy bike dont get it" or no " its ok for the money" or no "its awesome snatch that thing up" any thing at all?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    $200 seems like a heck of a deal, but there are probably some parts you'll want to change to make a good DJ out of it. If it were me I'd convert it to single speed first, but maybe you have a reason to keep gears, I don't know.

Did you check the reviews here?
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...3_1494crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's old, that's all I know! haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks like crap and the reviews agree. I'd pass on it. Save some more money up and get a newer bike.

mtbr member
    Well for 200 bucks id say go for it. If you arent going to be going huge anyway at first, it will be plenty for learning/mastering some handling skills and then when you get hooked you can upgrade later on to a better ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have no idea what the components are like on there, but I had a custom Flyin Monkey in 2002? and I can attest to the frame at least being bomber. It held up to ridiculous amounts of abuse and was a great ride, really stiff and good angles. I ran a 130mm fork and rode DJs and some lift assist DH and it was a blast. So if the parts are any good, I'd say buy it.

I really like Cookies
    Replace everything but the frame, and offer him 150 for it. Its not worth much more than that. The bike in general looks like a heap, but that frame is bomb proof. That short chainstay will help you when you are learning to ride urban and dj. Those tires and wheels might suffice for a while, but those haggard ass bars and stem need to go, along with the cranks and derailers. Go single speed and you will never look back.
    Cookies + Dirt Jumping = Crack

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well thanks for that, im supposed to pick it up tommorow i probably will be upgrading a bunch, but i think it will get by till i get tired of it or decide to uprade. he was asking 250 and he went to 200 fairly easy if there is any thing wrong with it ill see if hell go down any more. i have been thinkin of single speed and reading up alot on it, probably what ill end up with, atleast tryin it out.