mtbr member
    Aug 2007

k2 flying monkey questions-good starter bike?

been riding bmx for a couple years now blah blah blah-want to start riding the streets on an urban frame with front fork-the bike is an 03 with pretty good components-anybody out there riding this bike-i can get a pretty good deal on one through a friend of mine.
    are they somewhat light?and whats the going rate on these(average$)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode a flying monkey frame for a long while, it was my first real bike. The frame is solid, not too heavy, and has decent geometry. The stock components are pretty terrible, however- you'll end up replacing a lot of stuff if you ride hard. I had mine built with 24" wheels, discs, and DH parts, it ripped.

Personally, I would not pay more than say $250 for a complete, maybe $50-75 for the frame if it's in great shape. I ended up just giving my frame away when I got a new bike.

gnar, brah
    I had one of those for awhile. It was a damn good bike, surprisingly light, strong enough (meaning I never broke it), and a nice versatile geometry that will do good both for urban and for trail riding. I built mine from the frame up, so no idea on stock parts. I'd imagine that the frame or complete would be a hard sale though.
    Trestle Bike Park