Thread: K2 Brass Monkey

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

K2 Brass Monkey

Hi im new, and ive kinda wondering does anyone know abt the k2 brass monkey? i wanted to know the good points and bad points abt it. for urban and jumping =]] and is the brass monkey better or flying monkey?

-FrostBitten+

Meh.
    I think both are the same frame. They're surprisingly good considering that they were marketed as aggro-xc frames. Not much tire clearance though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Brass, Flying, and Funky monkey are all the same frame, just diffrent components and paint job.

I ride an 02 Funky Monkey. It's a solid frame. I weigh 150lbs, and have ridden it pretty hard for the past year anda half, and it's not showing any signs of weakness. I recently put an 02 Z1 with QR20 and 130mm travel on it, and the fork matches the frame really well.

The only problem with the bike is the limited tire clerance. You will not be able to run anything over 2.3 on this frame.

Here is a link to the k2 02 site which has some info on the monkeys.

http://www.k2bikes.com/archive_sites/2002site.asp

Will, they were not really marketed as aggro-xc frames:
    "Are you man enough to ride this Monkey? The ultimate jumping bike with style. Big air and trick parts-the ultimate combo." (quote from k2 site)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    cool thx =]] wait what does tire clearance mean again?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostscythe
    cool thx =]] wait what does tire clearance mean again?
    The biggest tire you can put without rubbing the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had a flyin monkey and loved it. Folks laughed at it cuz it said K2, but really it was a great bike. Really good geometry for urban and jumping. I ran mine with a 24" rear wheel and it just railed- no tire clearance issues that way either. I used it as a trail bike a few times, and IMHO it sucked for that- frame was made to stunt.

I had to retire it as the stays were ground almost through, and seemed to lose their 'pop' after 3 years and 2 owners beating it to death- got a little noodley. Spray-painted flat black and now it's a rigid SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

=)

thats nice, but may i know what IMNO means? sorry im kinda new to this stuff

Meh.
    IMHO - in my humble opinion