mtbr member

just got my new bars and stem

Just got my new deity bars and stem in the mail today and got them on the bike. The bars are really long and beefy, They are I think about 28.5 but I actually think i may leave them. After a quick ride it feels a little weird but maybe will get used to it. The stem is a bit shorter and it seems to make wheelies easier. Just wanted to let all know, they seem like a nice setup together. Its the gray color btw, on a black bike with red grips, looks sick. peace

mtbr member
    pics!!!! you might wanna think about cutting them though.

mtbr member
    What would the advantage be of cutting them? It seems so stable with them long, I went from I think a 24 inch bar to 28 so its a ridiculous jump but for some reason it feels good. I mostly do urban riding with a little bit of DJ as well. No pics right now, I dont have a digital camera. (probably the only person left without one, and no ipod either lol). Ill see if I can borrow one sometime soon.

mtbr member
    quicker feel, more responsive. that is what you want for urban/dj. yes, wide is more stable, but your not doing highspeed downhill here. it makes your bike feel alot better for urban. its the reason most people do it, including bmx.

mtbr member
    ok, enough said I am convinced. I think Ill go somewhere in the middle, maybe start by trimming an inch and a half off each side which would put it at about 25. Ive got a few pics, Ill post tommorow when I get back to my house. Thanks for the input.

resident dumbass
    I like my wider than normal bars. They're only about an inch wider than your basic aluminum bar, so not that much wider.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I like the Deity stuff. Will probably get the white stem and bars for my Cowan in the spring.

mtbr member
    one more thing, just so you dont screw a nice bar, only trim a little off at a time. because you can always cut off more, but you cant put any back on. I went by like just under an inch on each side when i cut mine. another tip--> move all your stuff (grips, levers, shifter) inwards on your bars and just ride like that for a while to get the feel before you cut anything. if your doing this, it helps alot to have lock-on grips!

Anyways bro, you got a very nice bar and stem there. congrats on getting that stuff. its pimp-taculous!

mtbr remember
    yeah, cutting the fat Diety's (or any 31.8 bar for that matter) down to 24", it looks goofy as hell to me personally... but, not that it should effect performance. Unless your bars are too flared to move your controls inward far enough. personally, I think that if you planned on running skinny bars (street/dj applications), you should have just stuck with the 25.4 Deity's, they look sick too.
    Mine are at 24.5" as well (skinny 22.2 jesme chromo bars)... but I do run the full length 31.8 SIC's on my FR bike for the stability and leverage. switching between the two isn't that bad IMO...

I agree with cummings, throw up some pics! the grey with red grips must look popnloctastic.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    sounds like a great combo. i plan on getting the 25.4 deity stem that will be coming out soon i believe? it'll be going with my cheap but trusted kona DH bars that i have been using since my original HT. also getting deity cranks and sprocket , should be excellent.

mtbr member
    Ok heres some pics...they are crappy because it was dark and i just wanted to snap some quick, ill get better ones later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I post too much.
    I have those same grips haha. Nice bike.

no big deal
    I've got Deity bars and cranks on all my bikes, and stems on all my bikes except my dh bike. I've got grey bars on my black v10, with grey santa cruz stickers. Looks so hot!
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

mtbr member
    I was cracking up when I got my Deity stem. Sucker weighs about 5 times what the Thomson it replaced does but....that's the price of a white powdercoat and a cool font.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by zaefod
    Sucker weighs about 5 times what the Thomson it replaced does but....that's the price of a white powdercoat and a cool font.
    HAAA! never heard it said as straight forward as this before but have thought it quite often...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like Thomson should start making white stems!! I'd buy one. I currently have Thomson stems and posts on both my XC bikes...top quality stuff.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by zaefod
    I was cracking up when I got my Deity stem. Sucker weighs about 5 times what the Thomson it replaced does but....that's the price of a white powdercoat and a cool font.
    LOL....no doubt. My new bike aint gonna be a jumper, but yeah, not light stuff. i had to weigh some parts going on the new bike as i knew they would not be weight weenie worthy and i was bored
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    damn that's a dope setup
    i've been eyeing the deity stuff for a bit