Thread: jumping a hip

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

jumping a hip

The local skatepark by my house has a nice 3 foot hip transfer. For some reason i keep wussing out when i go to try it. I can jump the spine no problem and i hear that hips are actually easier. Any tips or do i have to just go for it and hope for the best.

thanks

h-town hucker
    hip it.

try leaning into it.

try not to think so much about doing it. just do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was in the same position you were like 3 weeks ago dont wory just rotate a little in the air after you hit the cooping

kona-tize me captain
    hipping is easy, just start to carve in the direction u want to go in off the lip, then in the air move your upper body to shift your weright then balance it out with your hips, meanwhile whippign the tail over, its really easy to over whip so be carefull,

how do u do spines they scare the poop out of me
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

dirt rules
    just start small, and jump the very corner... once you hit it a time or two, you will never look back. Just like the first time you hit a spine.... scary, but easy once you hit it.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    just start small, and jump the very corner... once you hit it a time or two, you will never look back. Just like the first time you hit a spine.... scary, but easy once you hit it.
    Sorry for the thread jacking, but what do you guys mean by a spine?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    see the two things that are together on the left side they look like a quarter pipe on ech side thats the spine at our skatepark
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr remember
    spine is like two mini-ramp quarters backed up to eachother with a small skinny coping down the middle.... like no gap to clear, just pop straight up and down apparantly. I've never really had the opportunity to hit one, since I've got no available parks with it... boohoo for me.

edit, oh yeah, now I see wizzkidforever posted a nice pic of one...

hips are cake, but for me, I can hip waaay better to the left. I think it is because I naturally table to the right, and this helps with the hip IMO. When hipping right, I don't have as much confidence if there is gnarly gap, since i have to fight my urge to whip/table to the right, and do it to the left instead...
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 11-25-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks guys for all the help went to the park today and after a little while of rolling it etc, i said **** it and did it, landed it nice a few times and a few times sketchy but who cares, it was fun as hell cant wait to get better at em and go bigger.

Yea for those of you wanting to learn spines, i dont know they are scaqry i broke my foot on the one by me, then a few month later said **** it and tried again. ust remember to nose down.

Thanks again Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    We need to go riding again my friend.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Knuckle Smuggler
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkidforever
    see the two things that are together on the left side they look like a quarter pipe on ech side thats the spine at our skatepark

That looks like Racine. Man, I miss that place...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cholo
    That looks like Racine. Man, I miss that place...
    You too far away from it now? It closed Nov 1st for renovations, hopefully it will be open again soon.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

I post too much.
    Thanks wizz kid.

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    I learned to bunnyhop about 90-degrees on flat ground, then tried a hip and it was cake... in that direction (left). right turn hips still are whack. i guess i should practice hopping to the right...