mtbr member
    Apr 2006

isis bb broken? (x-posted)

on my single speed kona ive got a truvativ dh bb. when there is no chain on the chainring the cranks spin fine with no reistance or noise. when the chain is on the chainring and slightly tensioned (enough for the chain to fall off when riding) there is a small amount of reistance and noise, but when it is tensioned correctly there is a huge amount of noise and reistance. you can feel the click through the left crank arm once every turn. does this mean the bearings have gone in the bb?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    my first question is are you running a chain tensioner? if yes i dont know.. if no..
    my friend was having the same problem. i think you need to add a link or a half link.. im currently running a single speed on my shred and i have no problem.. chain rings are 24-12 and im getting a shaddow chain.. look into one of thoes

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah im running a tensioner on my shred. i thought you couldnt use a half link chain as it will stretch and lose tension after a while? and i definitly think the bb has gone

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I doubt your BB is bad, it sounds like your chain is way too tight.

If you use SS cogs and have a good chainline, your chain doesn't have to be very tight at all. Not sagging and flapping, but you should be able to grab it somewhere between the chainwheel and sprocket and give it a good 1/2" wiggle.

Anything tighter than that and you are just binding stuff up and causing faster wear.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by chris27
    on my single speed kona ive got a truvativ dh bb. when there is no chain on the chainring the cranks spin fine with no reistance or noise. when the chain is on the chainring and slightly tensioned (enough for the chain to fall off when riding) there is a small amount of reistance and noise, but when it is tensioned correctly there is a huge amount of noise and reistance. you can feel the click through the left crank arm once every turn. does this mean the bearings have gone in the bb?

Meh.
    You can use a half-link.

If you put too much tension on the chain, things don't move freely. My friend cracked a freewheel like that.

Are you trying to use a 73mm bb in a 68mm shell?