mtbr member
    Apr 2007

integrated headsets?

i already have an integrated headset for my shonky but i dont know if its the right kind
    i was looking at putting it on when my fork gets here but i dont know if i have the right kind
    i had only heard of campy and cane creek spec but this one says its 35 35
    im really confused about everything with integrated headsets so if somebody could help me out and tell me if its the right kind
    itd be a great help
    Bikes are better then women, at least you get to ride them when ever you want.

mtbr member
    there are 2 kinds of intergrated. campy(45d), and stupid.(35d) i think you got the stupid.
    sorry, id do more research, but im really pressed for time now. ill help more later tonight if no one else has yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    on the park tool website there is 13 different integrated sizes i dont know what size or angle i need. i couldnt find out on the kona website which i needed and i cant get to a bike shop today to see if they can tell me

Knuckle Smuggler
    Check again. It might say 36/36. I would think they used either 36/45 or 45/45.

36/45 (cane creek) and 45/45 (Campy) are most common. Since your frame was just released to the market, I would find it hard to believe they used a non-standard headset type.

Your best bet would be to call Kona.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by cholo
    Check again. It might say 36/36. I would think they used either 36/45 or 45/45.

36/45 (cane creek) and 45/45 (Campy) are most common. Since your frame was just released to the market, I would find it hard to believe they used a non-standard headset type.

Your best bet would be to call Kona.

word. Good info. I've never heard of 35/35?

"campy" is ALL that's used in BMX and newer street type mtb's, also commonly referred to as the "impact" from fsa's cheap stock headsets with the same standards. In fact it's so common that a lot of bmx fork manufacturers are actually producing forks with an integrated campy style crown race, just to simplify and lose weight, but meaning they are not at all compatible with other headsets.

The "cane-creek" 36/36 is typically used more like oem style on Giant bicycles, Iron Horse, Jamis, and a few others, less so in the bmx/street/dj world...
    ...but when it comes down to which route Kona chose, it's hard for me to tell without looking, especially since they haven't really been known to follow any bmx trends, more as a rather conservative "core mtb" style brand... (actually, now that I glance at a few pics of the frame, I'd put money down it is the 45/45, but I could still be wrong).

If you've already got a headset though it should be fairly easy to tell if it's the wrong one or not. Good luck.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah i messed it up it is 36/36
    how could i tell if its the wrong one