mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I'm thinkin about getting a new crankset...help!

I have a stock 04 Haro Escape 8.3 and i think the bb and cranks have had enough 4 foot drops to flat from a 240 pound guy. also i fell and scraped up the inside of my leg really bad from the outer chainring and i need a bashguard anyways, so i might as well remodel.

i'm lookin for something light, but i'll buy a DH crankset if i have to, and i want a bashguard.
    but while i'm at it, how hard would it be to just go single speed? i'm gettin tired of gearing problems and the bike is heavy as hell, already looking to replace the Minion tires that came on it.

I post too much.
    Shimano saint looks like it'd fit your bill quite well. 3-piece cranks are also very solid, but somewhat heavier. You might also consider Truvativ Holzfeller.

Portland, OR
    SS will cost a little bit of money, you'll need a spacer kit and a SS chain. as fork cranks, saints will fit the bill, but if you dont want to spend $175.00 you can pick up the hussefelts for like 80 bucks.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    I can recommend the Bontrager Big Earl cranks...beautiful quality, and have worked perfect for me so far, and are less $ than a lot of other options...

Magazine review

resident dumbass
    I like my Saint cranks very much. Strong as hell, but very beefy. Holzfellers are very strong as well, but they're slimmed down and better looking. Of course, these are both EXPENSIVE. I got my saints on a used set up for about 100 bucks more than new Saint cranks.

The Big Earl crank is a good deal.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    honestly guys i'm not too worried about cost. i have a good job and still live at home bill free.

i might just end up getting a new BB and pulling the outer ring.

and i rode with a guy who had the saints and he had to tighten the crankarm bolts 6 times throughout an hour long ride and eventually stripped em.

i've also been dabbling with the idea of just doing a custom build, so i might just end up with that. thanks for all your responses, really appreciate it.

Portland, OR
    he must have the original bolts. tell him to get the Shimano XT bolts, they're metel VS plastic. seriously dude, cost...yea. but for the cash if you wanted to go cheap ... those bontrager cranks are pretty sweet. also I know FSA has some type of aggro crank out thats like $59.99

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Meh.
    Only the preload cap was plastic on earlier models. Mine came with the aluminum preload cap. Whoever set it up for him was incompetent.

I've never had to tighten up my cranks. But I do periodically check. Loctite the threads if they back off. Some say the stock bolts are on the short side and got longer bolts.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Only the preload cap was plastic on earlier models. Mine came with the aluminum preload cap. Whoever set it up for him was incompetent.

I've never had to tighten up my cranks. But I do periodically check. Loctite the threads if they back off. Some say the stock bolts are on the short side and got longer bolts.
    okay heres a funny deal. I have two sets. ordered them at the same time (one for the zone, one for the P.) the 170mm came with an aluminum cap, the 175mm came with a plastic one. sure enough the plastic one wasnt going to be nearly as strong, so I just contacted shimano, they sent me two XT ones for free and 2 day shipping, awesome.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Local Paperboy Hero
    Anybody ever seen or ridden a pair of Odyssey Wombolts on a MTB??? They are 2 piece with an integrated spindle. They are supposed to be lighter and stronger than Profile's with a ti spindle. I'm thinking about trying out a pair.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL

not the cap, the small bolts that hold the crankarms tight to the bb spindle. and with the amount of talking we did, i'm sure he set it up and i wouldn't call him incompetent.

Crusty cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Anybody ever seen or ridden a pair of Odyssey Wombolts on a MTB??? They are 2 piece with an integrated spindle. They are supposed to be lighter and stronger than Profile's with a ti spindle. I'm thinking about trying out a pair.
    Yeah they look pretty sick. I just bought new profiles though, so I'm not buying any. As far as cranks go, I'd recomend a pair of tubular bmx cranks if you are into street or some raceface cracks if not. I also recomend not doing anymore drops to flat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    3 piece cranks are the way to go....i just went from hussefelts ss to fsa nasty boys 3 piece cranks and they are so much stiffer. i cant believe that i waited this long to change to them...

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    3 piece cranks are the way to go....i just went from hussefelts ss to fsa nasty boys 3 piece cranks and they are so much stiffer. i cant believe that i waited this long to change to them...

yeah, I hear that. I've got'em on almost all of my bikes now... WTP Royals w/ ti spindle, and some old FSA X-drive Xtremes on the rail...
    Schralp it Heavy.