mtbr member
    May 2012

Ideas for a new build for little kids and the adults (DJ/Pump)

I have a large backyard space that I wanted to build a pump/jump track in--about 120' long and 45' wide on one end and 25' on the far right. It slopes down about 3 feet over the span of the 45 and it then drops off pretty drastically to a river bank and then a river. There could be a really steep drop in from between garages that could spill into a double-sided berm to push riders left or right...

It will be used by everyone from beginners and little kids on striders to my friends and I on BMX bikes, cruisers and DJ bikes. Something along the lines of 2 longer lines of woops (like on a BMX track) was what I was thinking, with berms on each end and a funbox-type thing in the middle with a crossover that would allow for changes in direction, etc. I'd also run drainage through the base of the funbox as well.

The pic was from a Saturday when my kids and friends were playing around with some scrap wood, to give an idea of the layout.

Any thoughts or ideas? Just thought some people might have some cool things brewing in their minds or need a way to pass a long hour.Ideas for a new build for little kids and the adults (DJ/Pump)-photo-3.jpg

mtbr member
    There's a lot in this thread--you've probably seen it already.

DJ , Pump Track plans

If I were doing a backyard setup, I would definitely use a mix of wood features and dirt. A quarter pipe that you can air on to turn around is sometimes a good alternative to a 180 berm if you don't have a lot of space in one corner and/or you're trying to generate speed to get upgradient. A roll-in platform is always cool to have. Slant walls are also rad.

Check out the videos on YouTube and Vimeo of the 2012 Texas Toast Jam dirt course....
    2012 Texas Toast Jam: Dirt Final Highlights - TransWorld RideBMX - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, I've been reading and rereading that! It's such a great resource. I know I just need to get out there and start digging and moving dirt, but figured I'd put it out there.

I'm probably going to start with something based off of the height and spacing of the local bmx tracks and go from there.