mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I officially suck

So, I went out and bought a DK Dayton (see below). I've ridden it a few times and came to the realization that I can't do $hit when it comes to technical riding LOL.

I've raced cross country mountain bikes for years, but honestly most of my training is endurance based and I end up riding the road and rail trails a lot. We don't have a lot of technical (and legal trails) around here and my technical abilities have suffered because of it.

So, this BMX bike has really opened my eyes. Watching all these BMX videos on the web has made me realize how good (and crazy) some of these guys are. I have a TON to learn and don't even know where to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    I don't know what all you want to do but manuals and (proper) bunnyhops is the best place I'd know to start...

mtbr member
    Join the club.
    XC/ Dirt bikes rider in his 1st step towards technical/ urban.

Good luck - and, most important - Enjoy!

Local Paperboy Hero
    You might want to think about racing BMX. In my opinion, it's the best way to develop bike skill. Most tracks have adult cruiser classes. Other than that, just keep on riding!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    I don't know what all you want to do but manuals and (proper) bunnyhops is the best place I'd know to start...
    Yup. First thing I've been doing though is working on balancing the bike and hopping around on it. I think all of these bike skills are based on balance and man is it difficult to master. I did go out the other day and try to do some manuals...whoa, tuf. The pro's make them look so freaking easy but I can't do one for $hit. I don't ever plan on doing the crazy stuff like railing grinds, etc but I do want to master wheelies, manuals, riding backwards, and the relatively "safe" stuff like that.

mtbr member
    just keep riding and getting the feel for the new style. Also watch other people ride and try to maybe hook up with someone who is experience. learning to do manuals and good bunnyhops are to definitely two skills that will help. as you become more comfortable with the bike you will be able to manuver it much easier.