PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

I need to make big clumps into little clumps

Fine dirt would be even better.

Our pump/jump track is in super black clumpy soil (our not so secret spot would have been an epic high $$ yield agriculture spot) and I need to convert harvested dirt to more fine soil to work top layers.
    Has anyone tried one of the garden weasel thingys with the spiky wheels on them?

Anyone have a good way to churn dirt?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    Fine dirt would be even better.

Our pump/jump track is in super black clumpy soil (our not so secret spot would have been an epic high $$ yield agriculture spot) and I need to convert harvested dirt to more fine soil to work top layers.
    Has anyone tried one of the garden weasel thingys with the spiky wheels on them?

Anyone have a good way to churn dirt?

Not sure from your description what your dirt is like but if it's anything like the stuff at our spot east of Austin, it's black clay that is tough to work with when damp (is suuuper sticky ) and then cracks when dry. We used a top layer of sandy soil to fill in cracks. See pics in this link:

Allied Compound -- End of the World Jam - January 2012

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Black clay is what we have.

I will look in to getting some sand as filler for the surface.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    I will look in to getting some sand as filler for the surface.
    a lot of times bmx track dirt is described as "sandy loam with red clay content." the balance of clay to sand is important. in this case that tan colored stuff was actually too sandy to use for jump construction , but it worked okay to sort of dust in the cranks.

a good description of jump dirt is sometimes "river bottom clay." the river bottom aspect means very fine silts but the clay holds everything together without cracking.

it's possible your dirt is okay, and you just need to work with it when it has the right dampness. ??

the dirt was not that great at this spot, but Abel made it work by getting the dirt damp to work, then packing it really hard into shape, then constant light re-watering and sweeping dust into the cracks:

Pflugerville Trails Dig video