mtbr member

Hub dilema-- lots of hub knowledge needed

Hey guys, you mighta seen my thread about rims, as im building a new wheelset. I had originally chosen for my rear hub a dmr revolver 14mm disc hub. (i need 14mm x 135mm). I didnt go with a funn hub because i didnt think they came in the 36h size, and they were much more expensive. my other option which is about $50 more is halo's DJD 14mm hub. But now I recently found out that the halo and dmr are different styles. the halo is a cassette hub, and the dmr is a "flip flop" style hub. (it only has threads on one side, i dunno if its still called a flip flop, but i know its not a cassette). So the halo is just like all the good bmx hubs now-a-days. And the DMR is the other style that uses a freewheel like a ACS claws. So I have a few questions.

1) is the cassette style (halo) better than the dmr style?
    2) I read that with flip flop hubs, the lowest size tooth freewheel you can go is like 14t. Thats fine right now, but I eventually wanted to go micro drive and that requires a 13t. (28-13) Now i did find a freewheel for flip flop style hubs that is 13t. http://danscomp.com/461105.php?cat=PARTS would that work for the dmr hub?

Sorry for the massive write up, just need some help here. Let me know if i need to clarify anything. Thanks alot.

Meh.
    If the freewheel uses the smaller thread, there may be one smaller than a 14, but they're not very good quality IMO. It's not called flip-flop if there's threads on only one side because then you can't flip it. Thus, flip-flop. There are two sizes for freewheels as well. I'm not too familiar with the DMR hub. We built a wheel for one of the guys at the shop with a FUNN hub. It's a super sick hub, the engagement is very solid.

Cassette is the way to go these days. Halo hubs are made by Diatech. They're decent. Bearings are good quality, engagement is decent, it bites hard, but there aren't many engagement points, probably slightly better than an XT.

I post too much.
    Sorry for the hijack, but what about a 10x135 spacing, are there any decent singlespeed hubs that can take say a 12t?

mtbr member
    snaky, you can actually get that halo djd hub in 10x 135, as long as your looking for 36h.

I post too much.
    Thanks for the info commings.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=XSL_WiLL]If the freewheel uses the smaller thread, there may be one smaller than a 14, but they're not very good quality IMO...... [QUOTE]

Are you saying the ones using a smaller thread are not very good, or that style of using threads like DMR altogether is not very good?

Meh.
    The smaller freewheels are pretty crappy. I had the regular thread on my BMX, so the smallest I could typically go is 16t. I found one from ACS that was either a 14 or a 15, I forget. It just sucked and crapped out quickly. I'm not a big fan of freewheels.

mtbr remember
    freewheels suck, SS cassette w/ driver is best (required if running micro-drive).

Check out Eastern26. I have a bit of info on it in my much earlier thread "smooth movin' steel"
    Smooth Movin' Steel....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    freewheels suck, SS cassette w/ driver is best (required if running micro-drive).

Check out Eastern26. I have a bit of info on it in my much earlier thread "smooth movin' steel"
    Smooth Movin' Steel....
    Wow, where can i get that hub? would it be available to my dealer? it says it comes with a bunch of cogs on their website ( i need the 15t) about how much $$? and it does come in 135 x 14mm, cuz it doesnt say much on their site?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Wow, where can i get that hub? would it be available to my dealer? it says it comes with a bunch of cogs on their website ( i need the 15t) about how much $$? and it does come in 135 x 14mm, cuz it doesnt say much on their site?

yeah, disc 135 X 14mm (or 10mm as another option). comes with a bunch of cheap cogs to go on the little stock cassette body, or you can get a separate 1pc SS driver in 11, 10, or 9t. If you're looking to run just 15t (I forgot, but think it comes with like 12-16), you'll be all set with the supplied cog and lock ring.

just call up the guys at eastern26 direct they should be able to take care of you over the phone, or talk to your LBS Eastern Bikes dealer. can't tell you an exact price, but I think around the $100 mark.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    is the hub available to the public now and on the market or did u get it specially, just like your frame? just wanna know if its available now