pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

How's this frame? Kona Shred...

I need a new frame. Many of the companys don't seem to sell just the frame (STP, P1, etc)....

I need to run gears/quick release and I'm 5' 7".

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2008-KONA-SH...QQcmdZViewItem

forgot to add, I'm running 130mm DJ 2 forks....

Are there any other companies that sell just the frame that can run quick release and is a decent jump style frame?

on a side note, can a quick release hub be converted to standard axle/nuts?

Meh.
    It's not the ideal street/park bike, but it does okay on big dirt jumps and at resorts. It can ride some trails. It's more of a slacker more relaxed bike. You may want to reduce the travel of that DJ.

Many quick release hubs can be converted to bolt-on. If it's a hub with loose balls (ie Shimano) it will convert just fine.

mtbr member
    a friend of mine recently broke one he used it for urban/dirt jumps when he contacted kona about it they told him that if hes doing that kind of riding with it he needs to be replacing about every six to eight months

and xsl is right about the fork 100mm or lower is ideal for that bike

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'd be suprised if I end up breaking any frame. I just don't ride that hard.

My rear hub is a Shimano Deore XT. It's about 7 years old. How would I go about making it a regular axle/bolts? Can you provide me with a link or two for the parts?

Does anyone have any experience with the Unreal Cycles frame? It seems a bit long though at 22.5 inches.
    http://mtb.unrealcycles.com/catalog/item198.htm

Meh.
    It'll hold up fine. I used to have a Cowan and my buddy rocks it now. It's still solid.

Take it to a bike shop. They have a tool to measure the axle pitch. They'll order the right axle. Everything swaps over. If you don't know how to overhaul a hub, let the bike shop do it.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    wouldn't it just be 24tpi if it's loose ball? does the entire axle need to be replace or is there more to it?

I'm not sure if I'll end up doing it, as I like using a quick release, I'm just curious..

thanks.