Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004

How wide of bars on my DJ bike?

I've been riding 30 inch wide bars on my DH for two years, and on my trail bike for 4 months. Now my DJ bars feel to narrow. Is there any reason 30 inch bars would be too wide for DJ... What do you ride?
    Last edited by bikedrd; 04-30-2012 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    I've been riding 30 inch wide bars on my DH for two years, and on my trail bike for 4 months. Now my DJ bars feel to narrow. Is there any reason 30 inch bars would be too wide for DJ... What do you ride?
    I think mine are 28" or 29". It's just personal preference. Obviously tricks like barspins are more of a pain with super wide bars, but other than that, no major issue.

I also like to run long grips. It moves the lever further over for better one-finger braking and it also gives more room to shift your hands around like on tabletops where you sorta twist your hand under the grip to lever your bike flat....

FLY Ruben grips come in Long:
    Empire BMX :: Flybikes Ruben grip $4.95

Pro Crastinator
    bar widths are personal preference, the sh!t ain't rocket science here...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    Just built my first DJ for BMX and pump track. Guess what I'm switching out on it? The handlebar.

I have 29" bars on my AM bike with 6" of travel. I'm going to run the same on my DJ, but the DJ is going to have much higher bars than my AM bike. Just go with what you're comfortable with and you'll be fine.

As for tricks in the air, ask the other guys I need to learn to ride it before I can jump it.

Expert Noob
    Mine are 27.5". Any longer and it would be very difficult for me to bar spin.

mtbr member
    I went with the traditional shoulder width for my DJ bars and much wider on my DH bike but not super wide (I am not a large American). I can oly do X-ups at the moment but wide bars would mess me up.

*B*
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LandoCommando View Post
    Mine are 27.5". Any longer and it would be very difficult for me to bar spin.
    I agree, my favorite bars came at 27.5.... I cut my new black market bars to 28. Any wider would be overkill to me.