Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how tough?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

how tough?

just bought an 09' P.1 and the bike is solid with good geo. i like it a lot but some have said the wheel set is weak? how much punishment can the stock stuff take? and what inexpensive but bombproof wheelset (dont care about weight) would you guys recommend getting for the bike when the stock stuff takes a crap? i plan on doing some big drops and a lot urban hooliganism as well as dj (tons of abuse). rather be riding than wrenching. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    suggestions or is the stock stuff up to it for a season?

Slopestyle Rider
    The stock wheels are soft as butter. Pick up something like the Azonic Outlaws.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anybody have any experience with sun rynolite's laced to shimano hubs. i can get that setup for about 140 bucks

mtbr member
    Machine-built and hardly any better than what you're running now, I know from experience.

Slopestyle Rider
    I dunno, I had a set and they were pretty strong. I weigh 215 and never had any issues...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am ~215lbs and went with outlaws as well. If you watch you can catch them on sale for ~$200.

What size drop outs does the P have? The outlaws come with a 12mm rear axle and ready for thru axle up front too. 3/8" conversion axle available for the rear too.

Isn't there another similar wheel set ??? pmart .... maybe price mart thats like $170 and just as strong?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Specialized/Alex were way too soft for anything but straight 3-4 stair drops and that's it. Seriously. Rynolites are a little better than the stockers but I would seriously fork over a little bit more cash for Azonic Outlaws. Awesome price for an awesome wheelset. Couple different colors to pick from too. I decided to just lace Atomlab Pimplites to the stock hubs and they are bulletproof...Again, If I were you I'd just save a little more cash and get the Outlaws.

Meh.
    Performance... Forte Loco. Same rim, just pinned and 32h instead of welded and 36h.

They wheelset probably didn't hold up because they were poorly built and tensioned. And they likely weren't retensioned.

It's all about the build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    so the stock hubs are pretty burly? what kind of pimplites and spokes(14g) should i go with when its time to swap the rims?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I stuck with the stock hubs purely for saving cash for other bike projects. But with them being high flange (edges are taller than most) the spokes are shorter allowing for more durability... someone can argue this but over the years I found a little advantage to shorter spokes. The hubs have held up just fine over the last year. When I decided to replace the wheels I just ordered the pimplites and the torque nipples and just had some spokes cut at my LBS and then just laced them up. I'm not sure how comfortable you are with lacing wheels but the parts needed and the labor to have a shop do it may be the same if not even more than a set of those Azonic Outlaws. If you just want to throw down some cash and bolt them up and ride, I'd just get the Outlaws. Building the wheels was more of a project that I decided to take my time on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Plus if you don't have to reuse the hubs you will have 2 sets of wheels in case something goes wrong...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i would rather throw down the cash for a complete set of built azonics. i dont really know **** about lacing wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    it kinda pisses me off that a $900 ss dj bike comes with that crappy of a wheelset. i expected to get maybe a year out of the stockers

Bikes Rule
    Production bikes often times have lower end wheelsets. A lot of people buy bikes and replace wheels instantly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Production bikes often times have lower end wheelsets. A lot of people buy bikes and replace wheels instantly.
    Word!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    do all the dj bikes in the $900 price range have weak sauce rims?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    are the stock alex rims at least durable enough for 3-4 foot drops onto concrete and medium dirt jumping and stay true? i use the bike to commute at school some and really don't have the cash right now to upgrade the wheel set?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How much do you weigh? If you don't car to share ... and yeah they'll last awhile if you're smooth.

After you've ridden them a little they'll probably need to be trued/retensioned at your lbs.

You might be surprised how long they last...just depends on your style.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That $$$ range gets you a decent frame, fork, and most likely a decent crank and stem/bar combination. Less money will get you a much less quality bike... If you were to build the exact same bike part by part you would be spending quite abit more on the same stuff. Since the companies buy everything in bulk (especially a company as big as Specialized) they can charge less for their completes. Don't think that you got a weak bike by any means though! The wheels should be fine with 3-4 ft drops. I'd expect them to need a true/tensioning at some point considering they are brand new machine built wheels. Once you start getting into 180's and landed a little sideways of stairs you may find them to be soft. It's nothing to get bummed out on, they just need to be ridden and then get properly adjusted. You may even not have an issue with them at all. Coming from a skating background I chose to replace mine after the first 2 weeks because I went straight into 180's and trying 3's on it. Just ride it a few times and inspect them during and after each ride. And again, you may find them to hold more than we led you to believe. I couldn't spend more than that on a complete dj bike either...anything goes wrong just replace it down the road. You will probably end up doing it anyway, we all do. Whatever you do don't get down on your new bike!

...and get a good lock to lock it with during class

mtbr member
    Wheel lifespan is all about build and how you ride (i.e. how smooth are you?). If you land lightly and soak up the hit, keep the pressure up (especially for street, run 90psi) and have someone retension the stockers I would think that they should hold up for at least a year.
    Now if just bash the landings on stuff it's not going to matter what you have they won't last.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks everybody and i go 190 geared up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sun Double Tracks. If you don't care about weight... They'll last forever.

mtbr member
    man it all depends on how smooth you are, a while ago i was riding a stock Hardrock SS, like a $350 bike, and hitting 25ft doubles and 8ft drops(CPX RIP), and the wheels stayed true. give them a shot.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Performance... Forte Loco. Same rim, just pinned and 32h instead of welded and 36h.

They wheelset probably didn't hold up because they were poorly built and tensioned. And they likely weren't retensioned.

It's all about the build.
    I re-tensioned then many times... They were still incredibly weak wheels for the money paid, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast