Biker for Life

how to start a petition for a skatepark

some of my friends and i enjoy going to the skateprak in the town across our river but the only problem is that the skatepark is in a really bad part of the town and they are tearing it down anyways. but we want to try and get one in our part of town. is there anyway to do that?
    afk irl

Glad to Be Alive
    go start w/the YMCA....they have a lot of clout and also you could talk to some city council meembers

a good line...when we are bike riding we are not doing drugs, stealing or getting into trouble
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    There are a ton of resources available for information. Google it and you'll find helpful information. Be prepared for a lot of work and a long period of time before you're hitting the ramps. You need to work together with bikers, skateboarders, roller bladers, everyone that uses or would use the park.

Go to the park that is being torn down and find out who owns it. Then approach that person about moving it instead of tearing it down. Start a petition. Go to that park and talk to the people using it. Tell them what you're trying to do and ask them to help. You need to get as many people involved as possible. Find a place where the park can be relocated to. Find volunteers with trucks and offer to tear down the park and move it on your own time with your own resources. The city would be all over that since it would not cost them any money. I think you'll have more success moving the existing park as opposed to trying to get a new one built. Contact your local Parks and Recreation Department and talk to them about it. Be respectful and be prepared to answer tough questions.

h-town hucker
    what TXhucker said.

mtbr member
    Dude! No school and you're not at the trails?! Back away from the computer and get out there! I'm stuck at work, staring out the window at this gorgeous cool weather. can't wait for Friday to get back out there. What is WD talking about working on the roll in? You guys going to improve the trail that leads to the Beast? I wish I would have stayed to see robert hit it. He kept running up to it and then backing off at the last second. ***** runs as WD calls it. LOL! Call me a beyitch all day long, I'm not hitting that thing.

h-town hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by TXhucker
    Dude! No school and you're not at the trails?! Back away from the computer and get out there! I'm stuck at work, staring out the window at this gorgeous cool weather. can't wait for Friday to get back out there. What is WD talking about working on the roll in? You guys going to improve the trail that leads to the Beast? I wish I would have stayed to see robert hit it. He kept running up to it and then backing off at the last second. ***** runs as WD calls it. LOL! Call me a beyitch all day long, I'm not hitting that thing.
    i got my riding in for today. and the beast is nothing. theres Norway and this 8th grader hitting it now. and with that extension its nothing now. i wana fix the roll-in to the big step-up. theres a rott where i can drop off of, but the is a huge dip that need to be filled in for the landing. you'll see on friday.

is down to roll...
    Have you considered petitioning for a bike park? I'd think allowing locals to build jumps on city land would be easier than asking the city to build a concrete skate park.
    -ebR

Biker for Life
    im not talking about a concrete park, im talking a park that has a bowl. halfpipes, funboxes and all of that good stuff. my aunt works with city council so this weekend if we see her i am going to ask her what to do
    afk irl

mtbr member
    If you have a relative involved in City Council, you're already on your way. That will be a great help for you. Talk to her about what you want to do and have her talk to the people she knows. You have an opening directly to the people who have the decision making power. That will be a big help. Do something nice for your Auntie this weekend.