Too Kool for Skool

How much is too much?

I ride an stp and am thinking about using it for shuttle runs. An over sprung dirt jam with 4 inches of travel just doesnt seem like the best choice. I am thinking about putting my sherman from my reign on for a few days but im unsure if 6 inches of travel will hurt the bike. I will also use the bike for urban/dj but ill probably get a new fork anyways as my dirt jam is about as effective as two tubes filled with wet sponges for damping. Will the 6 inches of travel hurt my frame? If so then what is the most travel i could get away with for shuttle runs on this bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    it should be fien as long as your not hucking cliffs...and if you're getting new fork get a pike!
    so this is how you add a signature!!

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    it should be fien as long as your not hucking cliffs...and if you're getting new fork get a pike!
    Yea i was thinking something like a pike, or if i win the lottery a 36 but its pretty damn hard for me to win the lotto being only 15. No hucking off of clifs for me. At most 4-5 feet everything else i roll.

dirt rules
    I take my STP with a 80mm sherman to falls city a lot.... you just gotta be nice and smooth.

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    I take my STP with a 80mm sherman to falls city a lot.... you just gotta be nice and smooth.
    Yea im not asking about how well they preform but rather if my long travel sherman (150mm/6inches) will damage my frame. By the way. I just put the sherman on and rode around my yard a bit and it seems pretty good. Its axel to crown height is only an inch higher than the dirt jam because the lowers extend below the dropouts, plus i have 1.5 inches of sag and on my dj i only get 1/2 an inch at most. It felt plush and alittle more stable with out feeling too raked out. Ill post a pic up soon.

I post too much.
    It'd be fine I think. Marzocchi forks are tall in general.

Too Kool for Skool
    Alright cool. It will be alot more comfy now.

Portland, OR
    yea, just be pretty careful, I've seen a few cracked STP's that were run just with 110 travel. and their use was primarily DJ. just be really smooth, dont do anything stupid on it.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    yea, just be pretty careful, I've seen a few cracked STP's that were run just with 110 travel. and their use was primarily DJ. just be really smooth, dont do anything stupid on it.
    I have a way of hurting myself before i hurt my bike so if i break the bike im screwed.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by theg1ant
    I have a way of hurting myself before i hurt my bike so if i break the bike im screwed.
    That sounds a lot like me.

mtbr remember
    it probably voids the warranty. the headtube wasn't designed with that much leverage in mind, but like was mentioned above, if you're smooth, it will work out.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    it probably voids the warranty. the headtube wasn't designed with that much leverage in mind, but like was mentioned above, if you're smooth, it will work out.
    Ive noticed giant usually doesnt void warrentys unless the fork has an axel to crown hieght more than one inch more than the stock fork. This fork is only an inch taller so it would be like a 5 inch marzocchi on an stp. Does giant void warrentys on pikes? Because if they did alot of people would be screwed.

mtbr member
    I'm running an STP w/ a 150mm Z1 freeride, and that would be perfect for what you wanna do. I love mine.

dirt rules
    expect your frame to crack right between the headtube and the downtube soon.

Just Ride
    i road my stp with 5 inches of travel for a long time and it was too raked out. makes it too difficult to ride in my oppion. for street and stuff atleast. i'd recommend a pike as you mentioned. wind it down to 100 for street, take it back up to 140 for trails.

what shuttle runs you talkin bout riding? your in the dc area yeah? if your thinkin like the shed and stuff its gunna hurt on your stp, that is a gnarly mountain and you definiltey want some rear wheel movement for alot of that stuff. but yeah if you can do it do it ahah. and oh yeah if your interested in a pike, i got one on my bike right now but i have an argyle waiting for me back in arlington. pm me if your interested

What's that smell?
    WWLD?

(What would Lenosky do?)

Too Kool for Skool
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    i road my stp with 5 inches of travel for a long time and it was too raked out. makes it too difficult to ride in my oppion. for street and stuff atleast. i'd recommend a pike as you mentioned. wind it down to 100 for street, take it back up to 140 for trails.

what shuttle runs you talkin bout riding? your in the dc area yeah? if your thinkin like the shed and stuff its gunna hurt on your stp, that is a gnarly mountain and you definiltey want some rear wheel movement for alot of that stuff. but yeah if you can do it do it ahah. and oh yeah if your interested in a pike, i got one on my bike right now but i have an argyle waiting for me back in arlington. pm me if your interested
    Yep the shed. I was talking more about the jump trail and less about the super tech north hamburg section. I know a few people who ride hts with shermans up front on the north side so its doable. I know its probably more tech at the shed but i did a practice run at whitetail on the sunday course with my stp and dirt jam and i just started to get arm pump at the bottom. I have found a super good deal on a gold label and i am thinking about getting that and if i do shuttles ill pop the sherman on front. I tried it today with the sherman and it felt good with drops and rough areas but like you said it sucked on street. It also pops off the lip of a dj less aggressivly.