mtbr member
    Oct 2006

how much rise for h/bars?

hi, i recently bought a truvativ hussefelt 40mm stem oversized and i was wondering for someone 5"5 wat amount of rise should i get ,i want a little backsweep but it has to be an oversized bar so it will fit the new stem?Also could u also name another good h/bar that is oversized and will go well with the truvativ hussefelt stem?
    thanks everyone

I post too much.
    Rise and back sweet is nothing but personal preference. You can run non-oversize bars in your stem, it should have come with a spacer that allows you to run 25.2 bars. I'm 5'6'' and run some Titec El Norte's, which are pretty low rise(I think they're a hair under an inch.) Hussefelt bars are nice too.

mtbr remember
    rise can depend on your fork a2c height, your heat-tube length, your headset stack height, how much steerer tube and spacers you are running above the headtuve, if your stem has a rise, your bottom bracket height, and the rider's personal preference regarding the above mentioned.
    so yeah, relative to many things, no one set answer.
    do you want to be hunched over with more weight forward, or more straight up and down position on the pedals, with more weight shifted towards the back?

1.5-2" is the most common.

OS bars manufacturers could include: SIC LL, Funn, Answer Protaper OS, Deity, and more commonly found, Truvativ, RF, FSA, Syncros, Bontrager, Azonic... etc.
    Schralp it Heavy.

nrdbomber

depends

i think that bikeSATORI has hit the nail on the head. there are a lot of factors involved...especially as you progress. i started out with a 2.5 inch rise bar on my short kona cowan, but as i'm learning to throw down x-ups i found that i need a bit more clearance. also, my aluminum azonic bars developed stress marks, so i've ordered some atomlab cromoly jesme cig bars with a 3" rise.

one other thing to think about is bar width. my downhill bike is over 27" wide...but for dirt jumps, i now prefer no more than 26".

i realize most of us are on a budget, but it's fun to progress and play around with things until you find what works best for you.

the other bars i was looking at were kona cowan bars. they're 3" rise and $35 price on ebay seems like a great deal.
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by nrdbomber
    i think that bikeSATORI has hit the nail on the head. there are a lot of factors involved...especially as you progress. i started out with a 2.5 inch rise bar on my short kona cowan, but as i'm learning to throw down x-ups i found that i need a bit more clearance. also, my aluminum azonic bars developed stress marks, so i've ordered some atomlab cromoly jesme cig bars with a 3" rise.

one other thing to think about is bar width. my downhill bike is over 27" wide...but for dirt jumps, i now prefer no more than 26".

i realize most of us are on a budget, but it's fun to progress and play around with things until you find what works best for you.

the other bars i was looking at were kona cowan bars. they're 3" rise and $35 price on ebay seems like a great deal.

yeah right-on, clearance can be an issue, as well as on some much taller frames, hitting your brake lever on the tt too! rare though if you've got a newer street/dj/park frame.
    I run the Jesme Cigs right now cut down to 24.5... but they wouldnt' work with a 31.8 since they are only 22.2, unless you had some huge janky spacers.... I run mine with a bmx stem. they come with clamshell spacers for 25.4, but might be kinda funky there too... I don't like using extra spacers for stuff...
    and wow, with the stress marks on your alu. bars!! lucky you didn't end up with a sharp shard of alu in your chest! or an x-up gone wrong, and placed somewhere else! the chromo should stand up to more repeated impacts, and if it does ever fail, should hopefully bend instead of snapping off sharply and brittle...
    Schralp it Heavy.

nrdbomber
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    and wow, with the stress marks on your alu. bars!! lucky you didn't end up with a sharp shard of alu in your chest! or an x-up gone wrong, and placed somewhere else! the chromo should stand up to more repeated impacts, and if it does ever fail, should hopefully bend instead of snapping off sharply and brittle...
    yeah...i hear cromoly is the way to go for dj...i've ridden both steel and aluminum frames, and nothing beats the feel of steel

ok, i'm gonna go ride now
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrdbomber
    ok, i'm gonna go ride now
    Lucky mofo