mtbr member
    Nov 2009

How level does my back yard need to bee to make a ridable pump track???

Thank you all for any info my wife is gone for the week and I'm ready to dig and so is my 6 year old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbeaverking View Post
    Thank you all for any info my wife is gone for the week and I'm ready to dig and so is my 6 year old.
    It doesn't have to be level. But if it isn't, you have to get more creative. ; )

Like, build a quarter pipe or curved wallride or slant bank on the low end of the yard. It creates an artificial elevation to give you momentum on the return upgradient direction.

We had one here in Austin at the old pumptrack (r.i.p.).

Ninth Street BMX, the official local's site -Austin, Texas. Non profit, Non biased, Digger run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I started the structure of the bottom slant bank with the 1300 square foot grass I removed last year for her vegetable garden . I have a space that is a right triangle with the measurements of 25'x35' with a hypotenuse of 46' bottom corner is at the point of the long side. any layout design ideas would help
    Last edited by snowbeaverking; 08-19-2013 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbeaverking View Post
    I started the structure of the bottom slant bank with the 1300 square foot I removed last year for her vegetable garden . I have a space that is a right triangle with the measurements of 25'x35' with a hypotenuse of 46' bottom corner is at the point of the long side. any layout design ideas would help
    check out this mega-thread:
    DJ , Pump Track plans

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yeah read through it all

Pro Crastinator
    i say anything within +/- 90 degrees is cool with me. you just need to think outside the boring box...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I do have a 6 year old daughter that is my primary excuse for the track in the first place that needs to be able to ride it too

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    watching local kids on my pump track, we have little to no experience kids to decent xc mtb riders (for their ages, ~8-12). Kids are not going to be riding the track in the sense of pumping the rollers and railing berms. they seem to pedal the whole thing (or strider it). So my suggesting is to build for yourself. start with a few rollers at the 12"x10' rule (so nothing is huge), make berms as needed and let the kid at it. Pump tracks are awesome in the sense they get harder the faster you get, while staying safe for the slower peeps. little little kids even like to walk on the track.

(I have a couple skinnies and 2' wooden rollers now, some kids try them out (parents are there) and some are having too much fun on the dirt to be bothered with features.) build what you want to ride, everyone else just falls into place and has fun.

i wouldnt worry about the grade either. if you can ride it, everyone else will learn. kids will figure out how to have fun too, even if that means riding down the line and walking back up the hill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    would love to see a pic of your track