mtbr member
    Feb 2009

how easy for the noob?

i just got my gearing changed on my P1 and after riding the bike its too much to for me. how easy is it to change the cog back to the stock 14 tooth? any special tools required?

Yo!
    mtbr member
    That's a cassette hub right?

I'm pretty sure it is, but anyway, the cog is held down with a grooved lock ring that takes a specific socket for removal. To do it the right way, or how to do it with the right tools, you'll need a chain whip tool and that socket.

You can do it without the tools depending on how torqued the shop cranked the lock ring down.

You'll need to keep the bike on the ground with the front tire pushed up against a wall. Stand on the left side of your bike and grab the back brake, and put your weight on the seat to keep the bike still. Put some big ass channel lock pliers or something that can effectively grip the locknut and make sure you've got a good grip. Start turning the pliers counter-clockwise (pushing down on the pliers) making sure you're not stripping the lock nut. The bike is going to want to move, but keep the back wheel still and see if you can loosen the lock nut. If you get it loose, you're set to take off the wheel and remove the locknut and change cogs.

Since the freehub will lock when tightening the ring back on, you can do this job with the wheel off the bike. I tighten them down sitting on my couch with the wheel in my lap.

Then slap the wheel back in. Takes me 15 minutes, but you will damage the lockring if you're not careful with the pliers (even though it's easily replaced).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    at my shop we tighten them down real hard. if i was you, id take it in, most shops will do it for free
    [SIZE="3"]我说中文,你呢?[/SIZE]

Bikes Rule
    They make tools for a reason. Purchase them or go back to the LBS. Using pliers to loosen a cassette lock-ring is rediculous.

Based on the questions the OP has posted about his new bike in the last few weeks, he should ONLY be going back to the LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get a set of tools and a repair/maintenence book. It's all covered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have done it no problem without the special tools several times.

I use a rag to grip the cog, take a pair of needle nose pliers and open them up into the grooves of the lock ring, lock the needle nose open by placing a pair of vise grips on them...basically the vise grips and needle nose together form a wrench that turns the lock ring. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks, im gonna let the shop handle it

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ask if you can watch while the shop does it.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    All they're gonna do is pull off the back wheel, stabilize the free hub with a chain whip, and use the specialty socket to loosen the locknut.

They're supposed to be torqued down to 30 ft. lbs, so that's not that tight.

I've done it with my channel locks 15 times now, and seeing as it's saved me that many trips to the LBS, it's not ridiculous. I'll buy the socket and whip eventually, but for my $40 Nashbar cassette hub, I really could care less. It's saved me the money now for other parts I'd like to get for my bike.

I post too much.
    A chain whip and lockring tool will make the job immensely easier.

Bikes Rule
    Well then good luck. Here are some other good ideas for using "tools" for a job required for real tools:

Piece of wood and a hammer - Replaces a headset install tool. Doubles for Spanish BB install.

Pipe Wrench - For those Euro BB that your large adjustable wrench just doesn't fit. Because you know you can't use the correct BB tool.

Flat Head Screwdriver - Because tire levers are way to easy. Also works with a hammer to remove headset cups.

But hey it is your bike.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I set my headset with a 2x4 cut in half and a rubber mallet. Works flawlessly.

Channel locks for my cassette hub lock ring, no big deal.

Box wrench on my pedals works every time.

I also trued my wheels in frame using notecards as a square.. They roll fast and straight.

I do use tire levers on my wheels and a bb tool for my cranks though; I don't want to scratch the rim with a screwdriver and my gold bb cups look to nice to mar up with my channel locks.

It's a bike dude; it's not hard to work on. I cut my teeth building hot rods, rock crawlers, and vintage Mercedes, so you've got to be innovative with your tools every once in a while. I couldn't afford a timing guide puller for the engine in my 560SEL, so what did I use? A deep 3/8th socket and a bolt stacked with washers. Did it get the job done? Hell yea.

Alot of guys will razz you for working on your bike upside down or running a front brake or riding on 24s or whatever they think should be the right way. But the bottom line is, if I had the tools, I'd have used them, but because I'm working on my bike at 7pm and I want to ride afterward, I'll be innovative and use what I've got. And because I'd rather spend the $100+ of tools on a new brake or a decent set of pedals, I'll use what I've got.