mtbr member

Horizontal Dropouts and Wheel Removal

My new Azonic Steelhead arrived today and after getting all of the other parts attached, I went to remove the rear wheel and realized that horizontal dropouts make for an interesting dilemma when trying this maneuver. I am currently running a geared set up with disc brakes. Do I have to break the chain and remove a mounting bolt on the caliper every time I want/need to remove the rear wheel? Granted it has been close to 20 years since I wrenched on my Kuwahara Lazer Lite, but what am I missing? It does not seem like dropping the chain will give me enough reach and even if so how do I get past the brake caliper? It is not the end of the world if I do have to do these things I just wanted to be sure that there is just not an easier way. I will also grant that I invariably seek the hardest path to any conclusion, hence this question to those who ostensibly know better.

Portland, OR
    take the chain and pull it off the casette completly so that its not on the rear wheel at all. then just pull backwards, the disc will just slide free from the caliper.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    take the chain and pull it off the casette completly so that its not on the rear wheel at all. then just pull backwards, the disc will just slide free from the caliper.
    Not if the dropouts are the same as on the older eliminators. Gotta remove the caliper to take the wheel off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i have a steelhead and had the same problem. now this sounds dumb but ya gotta take off the rear brake caliper because the way the mount's set up if you don't the disc hits the caliper and won't come off. kinda a dumb annoying design if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Makes me glad my Steelhead is single-speed and has Vs.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr remember
    yeah, I heard with the next gen Steelheads, for wheel removal, you will have to saw off the dropouts, then re-weld them on with the hub in. Works well with the new "Solid" axle prototype, welded to the hub.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member

Thanks

I appreciate the responses. It is good to know I am not totally loosing it. it just means one more tool to be sure I have on hand for flat repair. no big deal it will just suck when I forget it.