one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008

Holy Roller + soft dirt?

Anyone run the Holy Roller (2.4") through soft dirt? How good/bad/acceptable was it?

We have a BMX-style course being reclaimed from previous years' flooding. It's a nice rolling track with a lot of potential. The dirt is river silt mostly - very light and quick to dry. In places it has packed-down well, but some spots it seems too loose to ever really pack down. Overall I would say 25% is the soft loose stuff.

Since I'm ready to switch-out my winter DH tires, do you think I'd regret runing Holy Rollers in these conditions? They would be fine for most Summer riding, just not sure about the loose track conditions.

Oh, 24" wheels, so I'm limited on tire choices in 2.3"+ sizes.

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You should be fine. I am running holy rollers and i have sitiuation similar to yours. I had 7 feet of snow over the winter so my low spots are flooded. I haven't had any slippage so far so you should be fine.

Meh.
    Holy Rollers are decent. They're a bit of a compromise between street and dirt. You may want to look into something with a bit more bite. Arrow makes a few good tires.

Fly fat ass fly !
    Their fine .
    Check out the DMR MOTO tires in 24'x2.4 My new Favorite !!
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i've got holy rollers and a majority of are trails are sand, i'd say you should be ok.
    I don't have a funny sig yet.

mtbr member
    Running 24x1.85 up front and 24x1.75 on my cruiser. Sand, light mud, roots, and just plain old dirt. Holy Rollers rock it all.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008

Dmr

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFLA
    Their fine .
    Check out the DMR MOTO tires in 24'x2.4 My new Favorite !!
    DMR was actually my first choice, but I've only seen 26x2.4's.

Who stocks DMR 24x2.4's???

Tom P.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I have run HR on all kinds of terrain. They are decent on soft terrain but after not using my DMR moto diggers for about a year I ran them last week and was blown away. They roll well on tarmac, hardpack and handle the loose conditions better than the HR. I am doing a head to head comparason this weekend as my backyard has a real mix of condition. I like the HR in the rear and I am on a mission to find a good front which can handle all the mix. I dont mind the rear slidding around but not the front. I have run the HR rear with a minion front but on hardpack and street big time wash outs. I am keen to try the advantage up front and see how that rolls.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Actually, for 24" sizes, you can get Holly Rollers all the way down to 1.75. I have them on my BMX race bike, a 24" Standard and use 1.85 in front and 1.75 in back. They are a very good BMX track tire. They are a little heavier than some of the new ultra light tires, but work great in BMX.