Thread: Holly Roller

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Holly Roller

Hi, new to the thread, had a question, i want to get maxxis holly rollers for my kona shred . The only thing i dont know is if they will fit. The holly roller is a 26X2.40. While stock my rear tire is 26X2.10. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It should fit. Stock i have a 2.2 rear tire on my Hardrock, but i've put in a 2.5 Hookworm. Besides, I've heard that Holy Rollers are a bit narrower than 2.4. I'm not sure though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, i thought it may fit because there is not as much side tread. I jsut did not want to spend 60 dollars on tires and not be able to use them.
    How do you like the hook worm tires? They look interesting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had one on my rear tire for a while. while there's lots of dry grip, they're about 1.2 kg and are way too heavy. The Hookworms weigh about 50% more than the HolyRollers, which also have a great comprimise of street and dirt tread IMO. That's why i've ordered a pair of Holy rollers. They should come in a day or two.

Portland, OR
    naw, dont spend tons on holyrollers. plus they're really freaking noisy. sounds like a freight train coming down the trails. if you want a better/cheaper tire look into halo 8 twin rail tires or Kenda K-rad. plus they're a little smaller. I think the twinrails are like 2.2 and the kendas are 2.35. I mean Holy rollers are great tires, but not so great to be 60 bucks.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    KRads = Good Cheap Tire
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    I disagree todd, a Holyrollers are better than K-rads imo, and i have also heard the same in other tire threads. (I have ridden them both). And "sounds like a freight train" ?????? I think you are massivly over exaggerating. I ride them and they are quiet in dirt. And Holyrollers are being $30 apiece, $60 for a pair is not bad or a waste. Twin rail do look nice though. Not trying to start a war todd, I just dont want your opinion scaring this guy away from a great tire.

KONA-SHRED7, they will fit fine, I rode them on Kona Stuff, same tire clearance as your Shred. Get em.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I disagree todd, a Holyrollers are better than K-rads imo, and i have also heard the same in other tire threads. (I have ridden them both). And "sounds like a freight train" ?????? I think you are massivly over exaggerating. I ride them and they are quiet in dirt. And Holyrollers are being $30 apiece, $60 for a pair is not bad or a waste. Twin rail do look nice though. Not trying to start a war todd, I just dont want your opinion scaring this guy away from a great tire.
    well I'm not trying to scare him away from them. I picked up 4 K rads for $35.00 new. I run my tires at extremly high pressure, they make a crapload of noise. the kendas are great, not as good as a holyroller, but when you can get a K-rad for $7.50 and a holyroller for $30.00 I'm going to stay away from em' I wasnt trying to say that they're bad tires or anything like that, just I personally wouldent spend $60.00 on them. especially because the twin rail blows bolth the K rads and Holyrollers right out of the water.

one thing though, have you found your holyroller to be slippery ? I know they are kind of a harder compound tire, but mine slides everywhare. one of the reasons I got rid of it, at high pressure and wet conditions on harder dirt surfaces it really was sketchy. the twinrail fixed it a little, but then I swapped to an adrenaline.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

I post too much.
    Yes they will fit, I've had them on a kona stuff before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for all the help, I am glad to hear both sides. I will surely check out all the tires listed and see which one seems best. Maybe i will try both. I am glad they will fit my bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    well I'm not trying to scare him away from them. I picked up 4 K rads for $35.00 new. I run my tires at extremly high pressure, they make a crapload of noise. the kendas are great, not as good as a holyroller, but when you can get a K-rad for $7.50 and a holyroller for $30.00 I'm going to stay away from em' I wasnt trying to say that they're bad tires or anything like that, just I personally wouldent spend $60.00 on them. especially because the twin rail blows bolth the K rads and Holyrollers right out of the water.

one thing though, have you found your holyroller to be slippery ? I know they are kind of a harder compound tire, but mine slides everywhare. one of the reasons I got rid of it, at high pressure and wet conditions on harder dirt surfaces it really was sketchy. the twinrail fixed it a little, but then I swapped to an adrenaline.
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood you because in your first post, you said "if you want a better/cheaper tire look into halo 8 twin rail tires or Kenda K-rad" I thought you were saying that a K-Rad is Better and Cheaper than Holyroller.

My Holyrollers slippery? Well, I've found mine are perfect on for street, even a little wet street. As for slippery in dirt, Mine work almost flawlessly in dirt and damp dirt. I dont usually even ride in wet dirt though. The only time mine slip are when riding very dry dirt, that is loose-over-packed. Other than that, great.

I guess it depends on how much money KONA-SHRED7 has to spend. if money is no option , holyroller or TwinRail for sure, if you like to spend as little as possible, K-RAd is a great alternative, especially considering the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood you because in your first post, you said "if you want a better/cheaper tire look into halo 8 twin rail tires or Kenda K-rad" I thought you were saying that a K-Rad is Better and Cheaper than Holyroller.

My Holyrollers slippery? Well, I've found mine are perfect on for street, even a little wet street. As for slippery in dirt, Mine work almost flawlessly in dirt and damp dirt. I dont usually even ride in wet dirt though. The only time mine slip are when riding very dry dirt, that is loose-over-packed. Other than that, great.

I guess it depends on how much money KONA-SHRED7 has to spend. if money is no option , holyroller or TwinRail for sure, if you like to spend as little as possible, K-RAd is a great alternative, especially considering the price.
    Not to mention they look *****en.

I post too much.
    The DMR Moto RT have almost the same thread pattern, but they roll a bit quieter IMO and they are a bit lighter. They are slightly less expensive too.