mtbr member
    May 2008

High Rise? Mid Rise? Low Rise?

Seems to me like most guys on this forum are running about a 50mm rise bar w/a zero rise stem.

But why the high rise bars, is it just easier to lift the front up, or is there another reason I'm missing?

To "Air" Is Human
    I have run 2" rise for a long time. I found the bike easier to man handle with my new 2.75" bar.

i like rocks
    i'm running a 2" rise bar. plan to try a 3" rise. stem is about as low as it can go, only a 1/8" spacer. aesthetic reasons. it looks retarded to have your stem spaced up too high.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    I ride a 3" rise and love it, very easy to pick up the front end. My boy has practically the identical bike as me with a 2" and his is harder to pick up.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alright, think I'm gonna pick up a deity twenty14 (go ahead, call me a trend whore...), I'm definintly liking the gloss white, and it's nice to know that it'll bend before it snaps, if it does either

Is 325 grams a respectable weight for a bar of its strength and price, or should I look at something else?

Meh.
    The Deity is a great bar. I would suggest you get a 25.4 clamp. I found the 31.8 a bit too stiff for street riding (unless you're a big guy). I love the rise, bend, and sweep. The weight is actually very respectable. It's marginally heavier than a Answer Protaper (at the same length) but it is more robust.

dirt rules
    There's a bit of trend influence, for sure.
    Like the bmx trend of tall bars and drop stems. Tall setups will make it easier to pull up, but I think it gives you a smaller "sweet spot" for manuals.

Roll on Spring Time!
    If you run low spacer stack and what more rise for same stack then higher rise bar fo sho.
    If you run a 2" and then remove spacers to drop your stem, arent you back to where you started?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The Deity is a great bar. I would suggest you get a 25.4 clamp. I found the 31.8 a bit too stiff for street riding (unless you're a big guy). I love the rise, bend, and sweep. The weight is actually very respectable. It's marginally heavier than a Answer Protaper (at the same length) but it is more robust.
    Thats good to hear, and thanks for the sizing comment.

I was looking for a new stem anyways, any ideas on a nice 25.4 50mm stem for a decent price? I don't like the deity, was thinking maybe a transition temple lite...

EDIT: Nvm on the temple lite, only available in 31.8....
    Last edited by Ryan97; 04-16-2009 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan97
    Thats good to hear, and thanks for the sizing comment.

I was looking for a new stem anyways, any ideas on a nice 25.4 50mm stem for a decent price? I don't like the deity, was thinking maybe a transition temple lite...

EDIT: Nvm on the temple lite, only available in 31.8....

Black Market Underboss is a great or a Raceface Diablous. the blkmkt only comes in
    50mm lenght, the Diablous comes in 35, 50 or 70mm

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Underboss looks nice, diabolus, well, looks a little overbuilt for me.... to put it politely

Is the black Underboss a flat or a gloss black?

Meh.
    Not a fan of the Diabolous stem... it's quite heavy.

The Truvativ stuff is inexpensive, well made, and reasonable weight.

I've never used the Atomlab Pimplite stem, but it's pretty light. I've been pretty satisfied with my other Atomlab products though.

I'm running a Syntace Superforce stem... I love it. It's very light. But it's not exactly user friendly... It's pretty specific about torque values.

Personally, not a fan of Thomson stems. I've had some slip.

The NS stem is decent.

The Spank Tweet Tweet doesn't look anything special, but the weight is decent.

I have run 31.8 stem with a 25.4 bar and shim before. I did not have any slipping.

mtbr member
    Underboss looks nice, diabolus, well, looks a little overbuilt for me.... to put it politely

Is the black Underboss a flat or a gloss black?
    the D2 diablous is nice, top loader like a bmx stem and lighter then the normal Diablous

the Underboss comes in anodized black, anodized red and anodized gunmetal in 31.8
    and in 24.5 same colors but they also do a polished and there are a few flat blacks floating around. I had the chance to buy one at Ray's indoor mtb park and made the mistake of passing it up

gnar, brah
    I run my bars wide and low so that I can switch between my dirt jumper and downhill bike more easily. I have thought about higher rise bars, but I get by just fine, and have noticed low rise bars on some pros dj rigs, so I'll probably keep it. Not the best setup for urban, but absolutely rips on dirt.

Its the newest of new school.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Funny because i am a bit of each my urban/dj bike has a high bar height and not too wide. I run my ds bike with middle height bars an a bit wider for easier control and leverage through the berms. last my dh/fr bike wide and low

mtbr member
    +1 on the Black Market Underboss stem. Comes in 25.4 and goes well with their 3" rise Bada-Bing bar which only comes in 25.4. They also make both the stem and bar in 31.8, but those bars only go up to 2" rise. The 25.4s are working fine for me and I'm no light weight.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Toasted BLT; 04-18-2009 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wish someone mentioned a higher rise bar before I bought one on the post below. Oh well.....