mtbr member

HELP your SANDY dirtjumps

I put this in a thread for a guy and he never went back to it...
    I attemted to PM the info to him and his box was full.....
    so if any of you are tired of fighting the sand...now it's your best friend.....

if you have sand...you can mix portland cement with it and add water till
    it's the consistancy of lumpy oatmeal not soup...what you have is concrete...

not dirt but-
    pure sand is the best because it has less organic material to shrink....
    the same stuff they put between bricks...
    here in Texas 92.5 lbs bags of portland are $8.69 non taxable...
    that's less than 9 cents a pound....
    just mix 1 bucket of cement for ever 5 buckets of sand before adding water...
    too hard to mix in if wet...just make sure the jumps are laid out perfect first!!
    you only need it on the surface layer of the jumps...2-3 inches deep...
    if you apply to existing jumps use chicken wire to hold cracks together...
    cut wire to the shape of the jump and cover with the mix and smooth to shape...
    use a real thick mix for more vertical surfaces or it will bulge and sag...
    in a couple of days you have a skatepark ramp sticking out of the dirt......
    It should be WAY BIGGER John I'm so out of shape!

mtbr member

wow

cool man thanx for the 411......this thread was SO helpfull!!! blah blah blah

any comments?.........hello......is this thing on?

dirt rules
    cement belongs in a skatepark

I post too much.
    What happens when you want to space out your jumps?

bcd
    mtbr member
    every rain all my jump get tuned.
    would not work for me.

i hear sugar works good and is still shapeable when wet, but drys hard.

Just Ride
    i wouldnt put cement on my jumps. i'm always adjusting and fixing them and its not the sort of thing that i loook at it and decide what needs to be changed, its as i ride them and notice what needs to be changed. it'd beway to hard to make a jump, ride it for a while even. then cement it in, it would change every dimension of the jump. not to mention its just kinda bad for the land. and your all of a sudden stuck with what you got....i wouldnt do it

mtbr member
    ya, cement wuold hurt to bail on, and you would have no modifications done ever.

if you dont like snady jumps dont use sandy soil, plenty of places have good dirt

Just Ride
    well not all places have good dirt readily avaible. the spot we dig at is in Virginia BEACH and it is exactly that. just gotta find pockets of good dirt and exploit it. typicaly what we'll do is use dirt for filler, the find pockets of good dirt and use them to cap it all off with. usually works real well. otherwise move further away from the ocean and hope you find better dirt. you can always have good dirt shipped in....

its just a mountain
    for those of us in places like FL where the whole state is made up of literally beach sand(b/c florida was once entirely underwater. i learned it in earth science last week) then you need a little something to hold your jumps together so you dont have to start over every time it rains.
    Forever condemned to Florida, land of small mountains and year round riding

mtbr member
    [SIZE="2"]
    Here are some pics a setup in my backyard - I used concrete on a couple of the lips. More for an experiment, but also to keep things held together when the kids and their cousins climb over them. I used a plywood form to hold the side and some mesh layed down first. There's about 14 bags of 50 lb Quickrete in each one.

Overall view:.
    http://www.defconfour.com/other/Back...ackyard001.jpg

First set, side angle:
    http://www.defconfour.com/other/Back...ackyard005.jpg

2nd set:
    http://www.defconfour.com/other/Back...ackyard006.jpg

After having it in use for the summer, it is really nice never having to worry about the shape of the lip, or doing maintenance.

To add to Bigger John's first post, I would grab a couple trowels, concrete tools to really make the surface smooth. Also, I used way more concrete than was needed. Both lips are thick!

I much rather have dirt for both the lip and the landings but for a sandy areas I can see how the concrete would be nice to have. I would try to layout the lips and such best I could then add concrete as a top layer - 1" thick at the most. That way if you need to move the lip or change things a sledge hammer should break it apart somewhat easily.

This link on LeeLikesBikes.com should be helpful too: http://www.leelikesbikes.com/protect...-paradise.html

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by defconfour; 11-06-2006 at 11:25 AM.

wajt... what ?
    May 2006
    I personally like the shrubbery around your little spot. Adds some class

Pro Crastinator
    could work in some instances, but we are always changing our jumps up for various reasons, for us it would be complete waste of time and energy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    What happens when you want to space out your jumps?

I say build more lines.....but since I am talking about only places with sand...the landings will be getting rebuild weekly....so make the landings and the lips closer and more fun as riders get better....
    Last edited by BIGGER John; 11-08-2006 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by defconfour
    [SIZE="2"]
    Here are some pics a setup in my backyard - I used concrete on a couple of the lips.
    [/SIZE]
    those are way cool.....and for all the guys who wonder how to change them...if you dig out the sides you can move the lips to another location and pack the sides back in and jump.. it would take 4 guys to move those things...
    if people have sand and problems with vandals...this could be a good solution.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MxFlyer43
    for those of us in places like FL where the whole state is made up of literally beach sand(b/c florida was once entirely underwater. i learned it in earth science last week) then you need a little something to hold your jumps together so you dont have to start over every time it rains.
    this is what the original post was intended.....but they most likely are not going to read this either and make more off the subject posts.....but I asked for it...

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by defconfour
    [SIZE="2"]
    Here are some pics a setup in my backyard - I used concrete on a couple of the lips. More for an experiment, but also to keep things held together when the kids and their cousins climb over them. I used a plywood form to hold the side and some mesh layed down first. There's about 14 bags of 50 lb Quickrete in each one.

Overall view:.
    http://www.defconfour.com/other/Back...ackyard001.jpg

First set, side angle:
    http://www.defconfour.com/other/Back...ackyard005.jpg

2nd set:
    http://www.defconfour.com/other/Back...ackyard006.jpg

After having it in use for the summer, it is really nice never having to worry about the shape of the lip, or doing maintenance.

To add to Bigger John's first post, I would grab a couple trowels, concrete tools to really make the surface smooth. Also, I used way more concrete than was needed. Both lips are thick!

I much rather have dirt for both the lip and the landings but for a sandy areas I can see how the concrete would be nice to have. I would try to layout the lips and such best I could then add concrete as a top layer - 1" thick at the most. That way if you need to move the lip or change things a sledge hammer should break it apart somewhat easily.

This link on LeeLikesBikes.com should be helpful too: http://www.leelikesbikes.com/protect...-paradise.html

[/SIZE]

nice set-up man, very simple, but still looks like fun to head out the door and session when you have a few minutes... but, reminds me a bit of some modest mouse lyrics -
    grass looks much greener, but it's just green-painted cement
    the mayor's machines are there cleaning the pavement
    you can't make dirt clean so we'll just lemon-scent it...

nice bushes though, very "mom" or "gf" approved I guess, haha...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    your all of a sudden stuck with what you got....i wouldnt do it
    then you haven't had to deal with sand..... and vandals wrecking every lip over the weekend...
    plus the only thing that would suck to be stuck with is a badly laid out jump in the first place....I said get it right...then cover it....

I've got a lot of time making jumps...so I don't have to change them...
    when you get better make bigger jumps...much needed new guys that can dig need smaller jumps to learn on....