mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Help picking a new bike?

Hi there,

I've recently realized that the bike I own is not suited to my preferences and has been limiting my willingness to try new things because I'm uncomfortable on the bike to begin with.

The big issue is the stiffness of the bike. I grew up on a Norco Wolverine that had plenty of give in the front suspension, and moving to a Specialized P.2 that's more geared for urban riding, I find the stiffness to be completely foreign.

I am considering buying another Wolverine because I liked it so much (got stolen) but the price differences make it a technical "downgrade" from the Specialized P.2.
    When it comes down to it, I don't have an issue buying a cheaper bike if I'm going to like it better, I'm just wondering if there are other options that are a step up from the Wolverine but that don't have the same street-oriented stiffness as the Specialized. Something that follows the same sort of formula with how the Norco rides.

I'm in the $700-$1200 range and looking for multiple gears. Also, I'm a relative amateur so my apologies if I sound like one. My knowledge isn't too in depth but I'm willing to learn!

mtbr member
    so, what are you riding then? dirt jumps, trails, DH, FR?

i'm not sure exactly what fork you have on the Specialized P2, but it may be possible to tune it to have more give.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    looks like the wolverine is labled an xc hard tail, looks more like an all mountain hard tail but is definitely not a DJ bike that the P2 is. like cmc4130 said maybe just tune your fork to be a little more forgiving... but like he said it will depend on what you are riding 100%