mtbr member

Help needed-- seat/post info

Hey, I posted this in the DH forum but no replies were given. I'm deciding between two seats, one with 7mm rails and one with 8mm rails. Is there different seatposts for the diferent size seats? Or does one seatpost work with both 8 and 7mm rails? I know the 8mm rail seat will work, cuz im using an 8mm seat rite now, just wanna know if the 7mm will work on my post as well. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    any rail-type seatpost i've ever seen works with 7 or 8mm...

mtbr remember
    don't know what combo you are looking at, but a Shadow with a thomson is a tight fit, but works with some elbow grease... just as an example here. BMX seats will have the larger rails compared to mtb standard rails, so when crossing these parts, don't expect perfect matches.
    get a macneil.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    get a macneil.
    I'll second that I'm trying to figure out how to use a macneil post and seat on my Cowan, which has a 30.0 seat post.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    I'll second that I'm trying to figure out how to use a macneil post and seat on my Cowan, which has a 30.0 seat post.
    Macneil makes different diameter posts now... just picked up a 30.9 and a capital for my SplinterMX...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I was intending on getting macneil, but i only got enough for a seat. so i narrowed it down to a shadow slim, odyssey aitken white, odyssey senior white. What would you guys choose?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Macneil makes different diameter posts now... just picked up a 30.9 and a capital for my SplinterMX...
    Where did you get it? Most of the on-line shops only carry 25.4, but Dans had up to a 27.2. DIdn't see anywhere that had them any larger. I was just going to get the 27.2 and then one of those shims from JensonUSA for the seat tube.