Thread: Help Needed

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Help Needed

Im new to urban riding, but Ive been riding cross country for a while. I can bunny hop but i cant seem to get the manual. Any advice would be great thanks!

I post too much.
    My best advice: do a search, this topic has been covered countless times. I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to help you out. Since the topic has been covered so many times, you're likely to find way more info than anyone here could give you at once.

Just so you don't think I'm an ass, I'll give you the best tip you can get. Lean back and low, legs and arms straight and simply pull up in one fluid motion, once you get the move down, muscle memory will take over and it'll be easy as 1,2,3. Best of all: just keep practicing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks alot thats what i was looking for cuz ive come across a lot of crap on the interent and that really helps

Thanks

I post too much.
    Not a problem. If you still need help just come back, and me and the other will be glad to help you troubleshoot what's making the manual difficult for you.

rock hard or hardrock
    ok well can you help me troubleshoot...i either seem to not get hhigh enough in the manual or i get to high and go over the back of the bike what should i do. when i dont get high enough i can only manual about 2 feet (distance wise) so what am i doing wrong
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yea i have the same problem as derfernerf icant get my front wheel high enough but i think its just cuz i need to practice more.

Also snaky69 can u do endo spins, if u can could u give me some advice cuz i can only get about 90 degrees instead of the full 180.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Also any info on how to bunnyhop higher would be helpful.

Thanks.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    ok well can you help me troubleshoot...i either seem to not get hhigh enough in the manual or i get to high and go over the back of the bike what should i do. when i dont get high enough i can only manual about 2 feet (distance wise) so what am i doing wrong
    Having one finger on the rear brake at all times is a must, if you wheel you are going to fall on your back, lightly tap the rear break, if your nose is dropping lean back further and push on the pedals to get your legs straighter.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by giantrider9
    Yea i have the same problem as derfernerf icant get my front wheel high enough but i think its just cuz i need to practice more.

Also snaky69 can u do endo spins, if u can could u give me some advice cuz i can only get about 90 degrees instead of the full 180.
    I used to be able to do them when I had a front brake ^^. I would lock the front wheel and lift the rear tire, then I would start the motion with my hips and follow through with my head/shoulders. Always look the direction you want to spin, it may sound weird but it helps an awful lot. Once the bike was almost all the way around i would slightly let go of the brake to let me roll out of it, then completely let go when the rear tire touched the ground again.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by giantrider9
    Also any info on how to bunnyhop higher would be helpful.

Thanks.
    another frustrated bunnyhopper thread

I think this is the best thread to look at in this whole forum as far as bunny hopping goes. I can hop a consistent 20 inches without an obstacle. 30-35 with one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks

I can bunnyhop over small sticks prolly 2 inches high but i cant get high enough to jump onto picnic tables or to get enough air to clear large gaps.

I just gotta go out and practice.

And snaky when u do a manual how high is ur from wheel of the ground because earlier today I rode a manual for about 7 or 8 feet and my front wheel was only a foot and a half or so of the ground. I didnt know if this was right or not.
    Last edited by giantrider9; 09-04-2006 at 10:24 AM.

I post too much.
    A manual with the wheel that low is very strenuous in my opinion, I usually have it the same height as I would on a seated wheelie, maybe a tad lower. Let me see if I have a pic somewhere...

Nope, sorry, no pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks

I practiced a little and i can get it almost get the front wheel up to the hieght i get to one wheelies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For practicing bunnyhops, once you can get curb height, everytime you go ride somewhere (ex: the store, work, school, ect...) bunnyhop on all the curbs on the way. Eventually you'll be able to hop heigher and much more consitantly. Practice is key.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I already do that, I bunnyhop over sticks and up small curbs when im riding somewhere. I have to practice a little more to make it up larger curbs though because right now I can only bunnyhop about 3 inches.

Thanks for the tip.

Me hates pinchflat
    I also have a little doubt with manuals. When doing one, are you supposed to always stay leaning back? When I manage to do one, I either fall on my a$$ or insinctively stand up over the front axle
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus