mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Help with jumping

I have been riding tabletop jumps at my local park for a few months now and i still cant clear them. Im using a 20 inch bmx and I can only get my front wheel all the way over it, i cant go much faster, other riders can clear the same jumps with half the speed. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How's your bunny hops? To clear some bmx style jumps you need to tuck the bike up and kind of lunge forward cause the lips don't launch you very high on there own. Try bringing your knees up as high as you can and see if it helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    VID007881 - YouTube

Here is a video of me riding it, maybe you could give suggestions or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    your doing good job of pulling the front end up but your legs are fairly pretty straight which is keeping the back of the bike low. Right after you go off the lip if you try to bring your knees up towards your chest I think you will get the distance you need to clear it. If you look at this pic you can see how bent this guys knees are to get the back end to clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hocorider3700 View Post
    VID007881 - YouTube

Here is a video of me riding it, maybe you could give suggestions or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    You're actually doing pretty good. I thought it would be a lot sketchier.. Your double pump with the bars is a good technique in racing. I think if you just go faster you'll clear it. Look at these bmx racers hauling ass and clearing really long jumps without going that high: ABA 2006 Grand Nationals AA Pro Finals - YouTube

Now, if you want to boost more for height..... I have a piece of advice that has helped other people. When you're standing on your bike, notice where your weight is. Is it centered over your cranks... Or is it leaned forward on your hands? Staying leaned forward keeps the nose from coming up and in general is what racers do when they want to stay low and fast. If you're trying to boost for height, you need to shift your center back so it's over your bottom bracket (center of your cranks) or even slightly behind it. This lets the front end come up... More over here:

Pull up or push down bars on transition of lip? - Pinkbike Forum

In the same way that skateboarders ollie by popping the front end up first then leveling out . . . .

. . . . you can do that on a bike too. Here's Blackmarket Bikes rider Jeremiah Work:

mtbr member
    Since I am a total beginner, the initial question/problem is also interesting to me... honestly, I can't even manage a bunny hop at this point. Have been practicing hard with a buddy of mine who is an experienced biker but unfortunately I don't make any progress. Guess I'll just have to keep on trying and eventually things will work out though
    Ride the mountain, ride the world

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexD. View Post
    Since I am a total beginner, the initial question/problem is also interesting to me... honestly, I can't even manage a bunny hop at this point. Have been practicing hard with a buddy of mine who is an experienced biker but unfortunately I don't make any progress. Guess I'll just have to keep on trying and eventually things will work out though
    I was going to say google/youtube some "how to bunnyhop" videos . . . but geeeez. I just watched this one and it sucks. How to Bunny Hop on a BMX Bike - YouTube His whole "scoop with your feet" thing is totally wrong. The only time you scoop with your feet is to nosedive when you're boosting high off jumps. On flat ground, it's all about lifting the front end and then lifting and pushing forward with the bars to get into a "tuck." On flat ground you are going to land rear wheel first or both wheels at the same time. Never front wheel first. On mellow tables like the one you're jumping, you can still land slightly rear wheel first. Both wheels at same time is best. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Cheers, mate, for the tips.

But that's exactly what my buddy has been telling me all the time and I just seem not to able to pull it off.... I really need to practice these damn moves over and over again. Looks so easy when he is doing it, but I feel like a complete moron completely unable to make any progress...
    Ride the mountain, ride the world

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For the OP and the other user, this is long but bear with me-
    You're absorbing the pop you'd get from your rear tire. You're kinda doing things halfway between boosting and halfway between speed jumping it. What you're doing with the front end is similar to boosting and what you're doing with the rear end is more similar to speed jumping. When you want to speed jump something, you absorb a good bit of the force by sucking your bike up into your body (there's more to it but that's a separate discussion). This way, your bike is still above the obstacle but you gain minimal height and thus carry your forward momentum much better.

But so far as learning to jump that table, if you look in your video right at :03, you'll see that your bike isn't at that steep of an angle, because you're not getting much pop out of the top of the lip. Jumping is essentially timing your hop motion to coincide with the top of the lip. As the other user above noted, your legs don't bend much, but they also aren't extended at takeoff. Ideally, you'd extend at takeoff and bend as you pull the rear of your bike up by throwing your bars up and forwards with your arms (like in your normal hop motion, not like the scooping that video describes). The timing is the hard part.

It's kinda hard to explain how to hop/jump in writing, but the basic premise is the same and just gains further refinement. Basically, you'll perform these actions seamlessly-
    Lean your weight back enough that you can pull back on the bars and raise your front wheel (it's important that you understand you're pulling back at this point, not up)
    Once this is done, you bend and compress your knees, which gives you the power to jump from the ground. The hop itself is based on you literally JUMPING off the ground by using your bike as a lever, so you have to bend your legs to actually get off the ground. The more spring you can generate the higher you'll go.
    At this point, it looks as though you're doing a crouching manual. From here, you will jump by extending your legs (like your'e jumping vertically in place). Once you have extended your legs fully your bike should be at a steep angle and your bars should be just in front of your stomach, you begin pulling your bars UP (towards your chin) and FORWARD in front of you while CROUCHING with your legs. When you really start maximizing your hop, you'll find that your bars are in front of your face at this point.

The way I've taught numerous people to hop is to have them stand above their bike and perform the actions standing without bending their legs because understanding the arm part is what messes lots of folks up. You don't need to do this super intensely or you'll hit your calves with your pedals, but stand above your bike with your pedal just behind your calf. You'll pull your bars back towards your stomach like you're performing a yates row but standing straight up. As the bars near your stomach, you will pull up towards your chin and forward. If you do it right, you'll see you don't really need to do much for your bike to jump by doing this. That's the arm motion you're looking for (it's harder to illustrate this with a mtb than a bmx since the standover is different and the seat/toptube starts hitting you). Then just combine the crouch/jump with it and you're set. If you can watch somebody do a hop on a longer travel full suspension rig it's illustrated easier as well, since all of the actions are exaggerated because the suspension compresses and takes a lot of that energy during preload.

mtbr member
    This guy explains it pretty well. It really does help to learn a good high bunny hop....

bmx how to bunny hop higher - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So straighten my legs when Im coming off the lip, then crouch in the air?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hocorider3700 View Post
    So straighten my legs when Im coming off the lip, then crouch in the air?
    Heh. It's too hard to explain, you'll just have to watch a lot of people and try different thing. Imagine you were just running up jump and jumping the gap--you'd compress your leg on the face of the jump, then boost.. Just like gymnastics or trampolines or whatever.

Check this out... it's about quarter pipes but the same style applies....

How to Air a Quarterpipe-Tom Dugan - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Heh. It's too hard to explain, you'll just have to watch a lot of people and try different thing. Imagine you were just running up jump and jumping the gap--you'd compress your leg on the face of the jump, then boost.. Just like gymnastics or trampolines or whatever.

Check this out... it's about quarter pipes but the same style applies....

How to Air a Quarterpipe-Tom Dugan - YouTube
    Yeah, I mean, in principle, yeah, that's what you do, but saying it like that makes it sound easier. Like cmc said, it's like you are literally jumping off the ground, except you're doing it on a bike. The arm motion keeps the bike underneath you as you do it.