mtbr member
    Jan 2009

help, brand new ss dj bike - noob question?

i just picked up my 09' p1 last night and everything looks great. i didn't get a chance to ride it yet and i have a question about the chain slack. im not used to single speed bikes and the chain seems too tight. i can only push it up or down maybe 1/8"-1/4" with a good amount of force. i know the chain is gonna stretch but what is the correct amount of slack? i dont want to butcher any bearings or bust the chain. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRADDICT
    i just picked up my 09' p1 last night and everything looks great. i didn't get a chance to ride it yet and i have a question about the chain slack. im not used to single speed bikes and the chain seems too tight. i can only push it up or down maybe 1/8"-1/4" with a good amount of force. i know the chain is gonna stretch but what is the correct amount of slack? i dont want to butcher any bearings or bust the chain. thanks
    hard to describe, but basically a tight/tense chain is fine, unless it is so tight that it is preventing the rear wheel or cranks from turning freely. it should never be loose so that it flops up and down or moves a lot side to side.

if a tight chain is making grinding type noise on the rear cog or on the front sprocket, you may have an alignment problem which can be fixed by changing the bottom bracket spacers or by adding or subtracting washers on your rear wheel axle inside the dropout. you shouldnt have an alignment issue on a brand new p1, though, unless something was assembled incorrectly.

mtbr member
    oh yeah... and you should buy a bottle of chain lube from your local bike shop. it really helps keep the chain in good condition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    haven't had a ss for years so bear with me man, what do you mean by the cranks moving freely? if i spin the cranks backward with moderate force they rotate about 3/4 of the way around. i guess the chain is gonna loosen up as soon as i can get it on the trails and put the hammer down. once eveything is worn in how much slack should i run for light trails and a lot of dirt jumping. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you spin the cranks backwards and it won't free spin a full turn I would say thats too tight. I would say I have about a 1/2" each way in slack on my new build/chain.

Is your axle as far forward in the drop outs as it will go?

If not you might consider loosening the axle nuts and releaving a little of that tension. If it eventually stretches and loosens up you can just pull it back to tighten it back up.

If you are all the way forward you might consider adding a link, or maybe just a half link. Again you could always pull it back out if it stretches.

I use chain tensioners so I usually go until the chain is tight and it won't really allow the crank to free spin (like you described) and then back it off a hair, just enough to get it to spin freely .... but no slop to the chain.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    dont know if the axle is all the way forward but should i just leave it alone for now because i haven't even ridin the bike yet. i figured the lbs set the bike up like this because the chain would stretch into its sweet spot after i put a few miles on her. thanks for helping the noob

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can definitely try it. I just wouldn't want to run with an overly tight chain for an extended period of time as its hard on the chain ... like I said if it won't free spin a full turn thats too tight imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks man. i really dont think i should have to be adjusting stuff on a brand new bike with 0 miles hopefully the chain will seat after a few miles and some air