mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Headset for Cannondale chase!!

I'm modernizing my old cannondale chase into a more modern DJ/dual slalom racer. I've already got a slick safety orange powder coat on it and I just bought a new take-off manitou circus fork off ebay for $250.

Problem is the fork only has 7" of steerer and is tapered. The chase has a 1.5" headtube so my question is what kind of headset can I use to get the absolute minimum stack height? Can I get some kind of bushing/adaptor to make the top a
    1-1/8" integrated?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm doing the exact same thing with a chase 1 frame i got, even down to the orange colour lol, i got a fox fork with tapered head tube, i am going to buy two superstar headsets, a taper one and a 1.5 reducer one, take the bottom cup from the taper set, and the top cup from the 1.5 reducer, then sell whats left over on ebay as a taper headset that you can fit 1 1/8th forks to a taper frame,

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    superstar actually make a headset specifically for the job actually, it comes as a 1.5 lower cup.and 1.5 to 1 1/8th reducer top cup and it comes with two crown races, one for the taper steerer and another for a straight 1 1/8th and it comes in black red or gold, only trouble is that its external so you have cups top and bottom which will increase your stack height

Members who have read this thread: 2